Leaking Frame Bolts - Recomendation?

After the last big rain storm, I found the inside of my camper wet near the tailgate. After a bit of poking around, I realized that it was leaking through the bolt that holds the camper onto the space frame. I know that this was talked about somewhere in the forum, but can’t seem to find it on search.

What is the official recommendation for leaking frame bolts? This is one of the large hardened bolts on the rear-most horizontal tube in the frame.

Should I just back it out, spray some Boeshield up there, add some caulk and tighten it back up?

This is what GFC recommends for those: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00207PU2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’d pull them all out one at a time and check them. If any are corroded they’ll send you a replacement set.

1 Like

I Never knew about this!

Do you know if they do this from the factory now or do we still need to do this on new units?

I’m pretty positive this step has been done at GFC for a while (way back to mine in the 80s). They do suggest reapplying occasionally.

1 Like

they suggest removing the utility bolts and applying boeshield inside the frame -

1 Like

FWIW, my camper, 166, I guess didn’t have the sealant on the bolts, but when Mike replaced my hinges he added sealant (may have replaced the bolts as well, not sure).

2 Likes

And what build # were you?

Early, mid or late builds. Or should I ask how long have you had your GFC

So I removed some of mine and had a little water trapped in a few…but I was looking inside it due to my main concern about rust in the inside frame good news they welded a cap or something along those lines so if there is water it’s not exposing the whole frame just were the bolt goes thew I don’t know why I never noticed the welds around the frame bolts but a little piece of mind for everyone with a V1…also if it’s not leaking you might just want to leave them in, the tent will lift up some when taking the out n you might end up messing up the seal even more.

i have removed all of mine and sprayed both fluid film and boeshield into my frame - one of each treatment 6 months apart

Did it mess up your seal I was nervous to since it raised up? And is that were your suppose to spray I’ve been just spraying were those hex bolts are the ones you use as tie downs?

yeah ive used the long ‘straw’ to reach around the corner of those tie down slots and sprayed the shit out of them. i had two bolts that were removed that were rusted, as well as a couple of the bolts that were removed when they changed out the hinges on our V1