LED Lighting on GFC

I just moved this LED strip from my old camper shell to my GFC. I used a waterproof 960 lumen 1 m LED strip from RadioShack with a dimmer and wiring from a differ LED setup I got on Amazon. The LED strip was clipped into a piece of u-channel aluminum, with I mounted with double sided 3M high strength mounting tape. I soldered and heat strink covered all connections for weather proofing, but the dimmer isnt waterproof. I put it on the rear panel in a place not likely to get wet. I don’t have a picture of the LED strip at camp, but I am uploading a photo of the lighting before I moved it to my GFC to show how it illuminates the area behind the truck. After mounting this on my old shell, I stopped needing to bring a lantern when camping. It works really well.

7 Likes

Very nice, I did something similar on mine. It was my most used light out of all the ones I put in my GFC.

Unfortunately during my repair process back up in MT (my camper was there for 3 months), my lights were destroyed. Kinda pissed at GFC about it, but whatever I got my camper picked up, fixed, and delivered eventually.

I bought the Matt Gecko LED set, which doesn’t include a light for this same location. So I guess I’ll be building another one! Have you had problems with bugs on that white light?

I haven’t had bug problems, but I do most of my camping in AZ and UT in the fall and spring or at high elevation in the summer. Usually too cold for them. I could see this being a problem in warmer, wetter climates. Does a different color attract fewer bugs?

I went the cheapest route possible with my leds. Bought a 25’ roll on amazon that are cuttable and you splice in a connector. I have strips on the bottom of each panel and two on the internal frame pointed into the bed. This allows us to light up the kitchen/tailgate area as well as the camp area. Playing board games without headlamps is nice. We also have two strips and a switch in the tent area. All are powered off a goal zero batter via 12v output. If I were to do it again I might wire in a PWM dimmer so they’re not so bright all the time. Also thought about having an amber color to not attract bugs

6 Likes

It looks really cool! Thanks for sharing the lifehack

Holy shit. Why didn’t I think of it? I just bought some led strips from ukled.co.uk, and I didn’t know how to set them up to look good. I will try to do it after a couple of days. I have just planned a trip to the mountains with my family, and this lifehack would help a lot. Sometimes it’s not comfortable at all to use the lantern cause I need someone to hold it so that the light falls from above. But with the led strips is just what I need.
You’re a genius, do you know that? It looks really REALLY good.

1 Like