Lights in your GFC?

Also I have 1 extra rock light mount if you need it.
Might have two and a amber dome light with switch after I install the new lights.

Are folks finding that having the lights installed is a big plus compared to just using something like a black diamond moji?
https://www.rei.com/product/878228/black-diamond-moji-lantern

I am using two goal zero light a life minis in the bed zip tied at each of the rear corners of the GFC spaceframe. They are hooked to a solar charged (panel on roof) DIY power pack that runs my lighting and fridge. I use a small led lantern or headlamp in the camper. This setup has been more then adequate and the actual lights are $20 a piece.

For me yes. Things dangling, having to recharge, swap and carry batteries and more stuff is just a pain to me. I want to install something where I flip the switch and it’s there, always in the same spot.

The less stuff I have to carry and worry about the better.

2 Likes

Agreed with @2ayne 100%. The more time I spend camping the more it becomes annoying to constantly be moving lights around, swapping batteries, etc. Buy once, install, and be done with it. No more worries.

I also have some baja dome light in the corners. Way easier then having to carry batteries or charge something up. I also have a blue sea panel in my decked drawer with usb and 12v ports, so i can plug in usb lights like a luminoodle.
Luminoodle - The Original LED Light Rope for Camping - 5ft Waterproof USB Powered LED String Lights + Lantern for Hiking, Safety, Emergencies https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0198VDWPQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kOFQDb11DZMFA

2 Likes

Thanks for the info Zane! I’m going to install a couple of BD work lights on L/R outside in the same spot as your outside install. Prefer to run the wiring through the corner (instead of drilling a hole) like yours. Any leakage through the seal with that routing?

Also, I am interested in your spare rock light mount - let’s figure out how to make that exchange happen…

Thanks,
Hamp

I didn’t drill any holes a for the S2 light mounted on the outside. The wiring is ran through the corner of the back door.

Shoot me an email:
zwatson127@yahoo.com

I’ve been using a Black Diamond remoji. I just hang it wherever I need it at the moment. I lived out of my truck for about 35 days over 3 months without recharging it. Though I only use it a few minutes each night. I still plan on adding permanent led lights eventually but this is a great temporary solution.

It does have upper and lower leds on 2 different switches. The kit allows you to mount the buttons where they work best for you.

Little late on that reply. I skipped the middle man and went straight to the source. Haha.
Installed mine today.
I added a on/off dimmer switch to the upper tent LED’s though. I got warm white which is basically natural white it appears.
Nice kit. 3M tape sticks like a champ!

2 Likes

Sorry about that.

Yes sir, the warm white is nice. That is the same I went with as well. It is a nice kit and the 3M tape is ice. How did you end up routing the top light wiring on yours? I did mine down the extrusion but I am going to change it this week.

1 Like

I already have 12v up top because I installed a fan so I just tapped into it and installed the dimmer into the wire tray cover I already had for the fan wiring.
You can see it in the left/top tent corner of the roof.

10-4. I wire loomed everything yesterday and re-ran the wiring down through the pre-drilled hole in the stationary panel, under the largest cushion. Working on soldering, heat shrinking, and tidying everything up this weekend.

1 Like

Can you post more details on this build? I like the lights. My plan as of now is go with a GoalZero and some of their lighting options

I have a goal zero as well, look at Luminoodle

1 Like

You can contact Matt on Tacoma World Forum @Mattgecko.

The kit is basically 5 LED strips cut to length.
3 that are pre-wired together for the lower part and two separate strips for the top. Each kit comes with two on/off switches so you can turn the tent and lower portions on separately. I chose to add a dimmer on/off switch to the top of mine. (You can see it in the wire covering I ran my fan wires through).

You’ll need 12v power ran to your bed and another loop to run to the tent through the hole GFC puts on the drivers side top of the camper floor. 5amp fuse.

I drilled the lower switch behind my drivers side taillight into the bed/tailgate area. (No pics).

I know @quadabaum and Matt are working together to fine tune the kit.

It comes with more butt connectors, zip ties and sticky backed ziptie holder things than you’ll need.

2 Likes

Here’s my lighting solution for the 2017 Tacoma (with thanks to Haans at Mule Expeditions for the wiring help and Zayne for ideas):

• BD dome lights on Rago mounts on the sides (always hot).
  • BD S2 Sport light as a work light in back on a GFC antenna mount.
  • BD S2 Sport light inside on a home fab mount. Swivels to light area under canopy, tailgate or to back as a second work light.
  • Both S2s controlled by switch panel in the driver’s side bed storage locker.
  • Gang switch for switch panel hidden in locker to allow entire system isolation.

Pretty happy with the setup so far, although I’m still looking for a better way to waterproof the storage locker - don’t understand why Toyota left that so exposed - any ideas for waterproofing?IMG_5184 IMG_5168 IMG_5169 IMG_5194 IMG_5196 IMG_5195 IMG_5182 IMG_5185 IMG_5183

Hope the info helps!

8 Likes

You need this to keep the water and dust out:

Install video

is that the compact or regular Rhino Rack Awning that you have mounted??
Thanks