Lock replacement

Hey guys - not sure where to post this. I’ve had my GFC since August '22, and since that time the locks on the panels have always been incredibly sus. That’s what my nephew would call them. I would just call them shit.

I brought this to the attention of GFC when I first got the build put on my truck, but ended up using a different set of the two dozen or so keys they gave me to get in more easily after struggling to open a couple of the panels. And, given that at the time I was so amped about getting my camper I didn’t want to make a huge deal about it, I ignored how concerning this was. Well, now I can’t even get a key into one of the locks on the back panel at all and am in dire need of a fix because I can’t fully lock the back.

Has anyone else had this experience? I’m surprised I don’t see this more often posted about in the forums. For anyone who has, what did you do to remedy?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

1 Like

Realizing I should have put this in “how to” but not sure how to move

If you really dislike the locks, change them. Others have replaced the locks with different southco locks (C-5, I think). I use graphite in my locks for maintenance and have been happy with how they open. The locks aren’t super great, but I haven’t had any problems with mine. Yet…
Search the forum for ideas…
I’m sure others will chime in with ideas and suggestions.

Peace.

1 Like

GFC will probably replace them under warranty, and as @GFC706 mentioned some good lube makes a big difference. They recommend T9 Boeshield in the past.

The C5 replacement is awesome, and you can run covers on them in the winter, but you have to cut your panels and it ends up costing $350 ish.

1 Like

I use graphite spray and mine are solid even in winter. I had trouble opening one of mine but I just washed me car after 3 months of winter grime and now it opens and closes like a champ!

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who’s replied. Very helpful. I will try the graphite spray first but will keep the C-5 replacement in mind if it comes to that.

I’ve had the same issue with tough keyways. Got them replaced and GFC suggested hitting the pins with Tri Flow once and a while. Sounds like keeping them well lubricants makes a huge difference for longevity.

1 Like

They definitely take time to wear in. Probably my biggest ‘why’ but I really only think about it when the key is giving me grief. I’ve resorted to being lazy and not locking the GFC :joy:

@jedgar latch covers would confuse even the smartest junkie, I’m sure.

3 Likes

I think the lock covers are some of the best theft deterrent lol.

3 Likes

GFC will replace them, but the quality is still sus. I am needing to replace some of mine for the 3rd time. I think the water issues also corrode the locks from the backside as I have some sort of build up inside the locks.

Firs thing to do when you get your camper is lube the locks.

2 Likes

Agreed. I used some WD but i know there is better stuff out there.
Lubed them the first day and i have not had any issues with ice, dirt, snow or water.

One other suggestion you might want to do is lube the zippers with some zipper lube.

2 Likes

Kinda random on a lock replacement thread, but, hey, I looked that up. I’ve never heard of zipper lube. I think my tent may benefit from some. I plan to pick up some at REI.

Peace.

1 Like

There is other stuff that stays in longer, did you know WD40 stands for water displacement formula #40?
Originally used to keep ice and water build up off of Atlas rockets.

1 Like

Zipper lube isn’t nearly as common as it used to be since most zippers are plastic and somewhat self-lubricating that way, but it’s definitely something you want for any metal zippers and it can’t hurt on plastic zippers.

Bees wax works amazing for zippers in general too.

2 Likes

Anyone have issues with the key slots getting stuck open? I regularly lubricate them but one pesky lock is stuck open so the weather really gets into it. I’ve tried everything to loosen it up but nothing. Just stuck half open

3 Likes

I’ve had my keyway cover stick open. Someone here pointed out that there’s usually a tiny dented in area around the opening, it keeping it from closing. I just used the key to pry mine back out and it was fine.

Mine get full of dust and stuff, maybe try washing them out and then relubing.

1 Like