Restocked: Low-profile maxtrax roof mount

Hey all,

I’ve recently designed a low-profile mount that would allow users to mount their maxtrax on the roof of their camper without the need to buy crossbars. I’m waiting to hear back from the fabrication shop but wanted to start looking at how many interested parties there would be. Not 100% on material and finish yet so the final price isn’t set, but would roughly be in the $150-$200 range. Mounting hardware for the brackets would be included (minus the maxtrax mounting pins). Let me know below if you’re interested or have any other questions.

2 Likes

Depends on the mounting system. Can you elaborate or show us some drawings? Interested but it all depends on how they will fasten to our campers. Cheers.

The brackets are held on by 4 track nuts (2 in each of the extrusions) for rigidity and security. It then bends over the roofline and has clearance for the flat washer, lock nut, and about 1/8” of stud. The studs of the maxtrax pins must be cut to allow for the lowest mounting. The brackets themselves have tolerances built into them to allow for variation in the maxtrax molds (maxtrax states there can be ± 1% in post hole dimensions). This style allows the boards to be mounted anywhere along either side. Will be sold as a pair and include all eight track nuts/bolts.

4 Likes

For anyone following along, the prototype will be delivered on Monday and I’ll be able to post a product photo. Let me know if there are any questions that I can address in the meantime.

Cheers

4 Likes

Definitely would be interested

1 Like

Ok everyone. The prototype mount arrived today but the track nuts are a day behind. I’ll get some pictures posted up tomorrow once they arrive.

Cheers

3 Likes

Here are some photos of the prototype. I currently have a set of steel arms in production for testing. Let me know below what you think.

Cheers

2 Likes

Are they secured at all, or just gravity holding them on? Hard to tell by the pics.

@PRob The maxtrax pins fit through a slot in the boards and then rotate 90° to hold the boards in place. There are 4 pins in total on two arms. Each arm is held onto the camper using 4 track nuts, 8 in total. It’s a very secure system. There is also a padlock slot at the top of each pin for those looking for even more security.

2 Likes

Nifty. Thanks. I did not notice the twist.

1 Like

@PRob No problem! Always happy to help.

@the_philxx The 3D print was just a low cost way to verify all of the clearances. I have a set of steel arms being fabricated this week for actual testing. Depending on prices and machining location, I’ve looked at both powder coated steel or clear anodized aluminum for the final product. I want something that can be cost effective for customers but also produced locally so changes can be made easily if needed.

2 Likes

I like it, put me down for a set.

1 Like

I’d love a set of these

1 Like

Nice. Take my money please!

1 Like

First set should be back from powder coat by this weekend. Just in time for Rigs & Coffee! I should have some better photos up shortly after. Hope to hear some feedback and hopefully get a better headcount for the first production run.

Would anyone be opposed to a small deposit (~$50) for pre-orders? It would help with production costs and also give some peace of mind. Let me know what you think.

3 Likes

I’d be interested, and pay a deposit, once the details are finalized.

Would be super awesome if you could have option to order for 1, 2, or 4 boards high, so people could choose for the most aerodynamic option if wanted.

1 Like

@FTR86 The brackets are made from 1/4” steel and have a matte black powder coat finish. They’re designed to be used with the maxtrax mkii mounting pins which can hold either 2 or 4 boards. I’ve designed the brackets to sit as flush to the roof as possible while still allowing for some flex to avoid damaging the roof. I hope that clears up some of your questions. If you have any more, feel free to shoot me a message!

Cheers

1 Like

Got my brackets back from powder coat, finally. Here are some preliminary pictures. Going to run these through the ringer over the next week or two before I start accepting orders.

5 Likes

Ok. First bug fixed. The “corrosion resistant” bolts I ordered for these didn’t even make it 12 hours before rusting over. Replaced with 316 stainless moving forward.

3 Likes