MN --> GFC --> Dillon, CO --> MN (in February)

The installer in CO wasn’t able to guarantee an install date the week I will be in CO so I’m planning on driving from MN to pick up the GFC before headed south to CO. I have a day or two of extra time to make the journey down to Colorado. Since I will be snowboarding there I’m looking for recommendations that don’t include this during the winter time. Was thinking of snowshoeing Hyalite Canyon but wondering if a detour to Yellowstone is worth it in the peak of winter? Since my bed has to be empty for the install I likely won’t have my full camp gear for winter camping but I’m considering it.

Any recommendations for relatively cheap winter activities to do solo? (active mid 30s if that matters)

They close most of the roads in and out of Yellowstone in the winter so make sure you plan out your route ahead of time knowing that roads can close overnight with a good storm. You can take a snow cat tour into the park from Gardiner though, and stay at the Old Faithful inn (or at least I did many years ago). There was no TV or internet, but the food was great and seeing old faithful go off in the winter is awesome.

Otherwise I recommend finding a good hot spring or two that time of year

1 Like

Yeah it sounds like the north and northeast entrances are the only ones open during the winter so I’m not sure if it’s worth it. Maybe take a trip through and do a little snowshoeing.

Go a hour and half north to Steamboat Springs… a shit ton of GFCs here and there’s a lot of things to do here in the winter!