No windows...now what?

So…two weeks out from the install of my Platform Topper. I’m definitely looking forward to it. When I ordered my topper I went back and forth whether to add windows front and back and ultimately decided not to for security reasons. Later, I thought maybe I’d like them, but I was reminded when I contacted GFC that there are no changes after the order. So…any recommendations for side mirror extensions on a Gen 3 Tacoma double cab? I have the backup camera for, well, backing up, but it might be nice to have a little more visibility about what’s behind me when going down the highway. Thanks.

1 Like

could try this

1 Like

or

1 Like

I’ve seen “tow” mirrors for 3rd gen Tacomas but they seem dorky to me. You could always do a digital rear view mirror like this or add some convex mirrors following this thread. Both might be optimal but I don’t have experience with either. Been thinking about adding the convex mirrors as it seems like the easiest and most straightforward solution.

2 Likes

I run a full time camera behind me that is constant on the front radio display… so much better than the mirrors as I can see all three lanes behind me at the same time…… I have windows on my GFC but never use them now

3 Likes

No windows is def the move. I went back and forth but glad I picked no mirrors. Actually even removed my mirror inside the truck lol.

I got one of these mirrors on Amazon. Doubles as a front/rear dash cam. You can have both or just front or back camera. When it’s off it functions as a normal mirror. It’s 4K and surprisingly good video. It just clips over you normal mirror so you still maintain the mic and hands free.

2 Likes

Is there an aftermarket camera you use for this or just your OEM one? I’m looking to buy a backup camera I can have on all the time.

1 Like

Do you happen to have the link for this by chance? thanks!

https://camerasource.com/catalog/product/view/id/1447/s/2010-2015-toyota-tacoma-camper-camera-kit-plug-and-play/category/17/

3 Likes

Rewire the backup camera to be on demand, use it for seeing what’s behind at any time. I used the trailer socket to wire mine. Turn on the running light viola they’re on

A full-time rearview mirror camera in traffic is fantastic, even with windows.

Thank you!

Didn’t know this was possible…have details? TIA!

Instead of wiring camera to backup light, wire to trailer light. If no trailer light use running light. That way you can turn on your running light and get continuous feed. I use the trailer light socket. I’ve wired my camera with a trailer plug to be able to unplug if I need.