Platform Camper Footprint size

I’ve been in discussion with Collin at GFC but their business model doesn’t make getting this info easy. They apparently don’t have a chart/book/list of the footprint dimensions of the various versions of the Platform Campers that they make.
I am looking to find the smallest they make. This would be based on available bed size I presume.
Collin speculated that the Ford Maverick might be the smallest.
Can anyone that has what would be considered a SMALL Platform camper get me approximate external dimensions of the footprint? The dimensions of the bottom of the “tent” and/or the top of the frame it sits on?
Thanks,
Mark

Perhaps you already know this, but I will just clarify: there are only two different sizes of tent: standard and xl. The standard tent is ~52" wide. The top of the frame it sits on will be 52 x ~the length of the bed you have it on as front and rear are fairly vertical. What changes from truck to truck is the size of the bottom of the frame where it sits on the bed rails. Is that the dimension you are after?

1 Like

THANK YOU! No, I did not know that. GFC support was not able to tell me that info. That’s EXACTLY what I needed. :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

1 Like

Just out of curiosity: what are you planning for this thing? Are you planning on building your own or going to use the tent for something else?

1 Like

Well, I was brainstorming a pop top for my Land Cruiser Troopy. Thinking a little out of the box…

That would be rad, a little like the alucab pop top on the defender!
Post up when you get it all figured out

1 Like

Alu Cab makes one for the Troopy but it’s $10k+ I’m willing to think outside of the box if it’ll save me half of that or more.
I’m not looking for a full roof pop top like the Alu Cab… a smaller lifted area to be able to stand in the back would be great. Sleeping up there would be a bonus.
I may end up going DIY unless I win the lottery or old Aunt Marge passes and has money we all don’t know about!

1 Like

1st off love a troopy! LHD or RHD, where did it come from?

I know OverlandtheAmericas has a Mulgo poptop on their troopy, which is an aussie based company. It’s possible they are the same price as a AluCab so moot point.

Thought I’d mention it.

Justin

2 Likes

LHD, factory lockers, AC. HZJ75
Not perfect but very clean.
Got it from “Joe” out of Dallas. It came from France.

3 Likes

Jealous! I was eying some when in Colombia last year. Good that its LHD, means you can drive all the way to South America and not have to ship around certain countries that exclude RHD vehicles. You know…cause that is where my brain goes haha.

1 Like

And I’m just thinking I’m too old to reach across for pick up in drive thru lanes!

3 Likes

If you don’t mind cutting the tent floor out as needed (in lieu of the transform-a-floor panels in the platform camper) you could possibly save more money and base it off the platform RTT. I believe the camper and RTT are identical except for the solid floor in the RTT. Just a thought. This is a very cool idea and I can’t wait until someone does it and I can see pictures. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Trail Cap has done it pretty well, but on a vintage looking topper. Gives an idea of the look/functionality at least. https://www.instagram.com/trailcap_camper_shells/?hl=en

2 Likes

Damn i am so jelly!!! Love your rig, enjoy!

1 Like

https://www.wanderlibre.com/for-sale-toyota-and-cruiser-78-troopy/

1 Like

Medicfung: That’s not legal to import to the US… it needs to be 25+ years past date of manufacture.

1 Like

You gave me something else to lust over, thank you!
Now to find my needle in a haystack

1 Like

Happy to help. :innocent:
That’s why I’m here…

Have you heard of Campteq? If I understand your idea correctly… they may be exactly what you’re looking for.

you can import them you just can’t register and legally drive them on PUBLIC streets. You can use it as a farm truck all day long. look at all those new kei trucks coming over from Japan

1 Like