Suspension, bumpers, armor

Post to save and update for future use 4

Interior

Post to save and update for future use 5

Trips, photos, updates, etc

Post to save and update for future use 5

My side hustle supported by the GFC: https://josh-ulrich.com/

2 Likes

Looks great! Keep us updated on this system. That looks really nice.

And your photography is beautiful as well.

Thank you. I’ll try to keep this post updated. I am hoping to have it full tested and built out by the first part of September. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Did it work? Locked and unlocked and took off any time constraints!

@Mike_GFCUSA Didn’t work. I still can’t edit/update my initial posts at the top of this thread. Instead of the normal pencil icon for editing a post, I am shown a number then a pencil where the number represents the number of times the post has been edited (2 or 3 in this case). When I click the pencil icon it shows a history of my edits, but does not give me opportunity to edit anymore. I am looking for the ability to update my initial posts as a table of contents like people typically do in tacomaworld.

I verified that I can edit newer posts of mine on other threads.

Love the truck so far, looking forward to the updates!

1 Like

Thank you, hopefully I get a chance to update the post around the holidays with the first version of my electrical setup. I have all the electrical sources wired and just need to finish up all the lights and accessories.

Interior Led Light Install
I’ll post some detailed pictures after I test it out on a trip this weekend. As for now I attached a link to a video below that shows the functionality (initial video doesn’t have the separately purchased controllers, remote, or my electrical box).

Products
2x LED kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IQOV13G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1x LED connector kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y32YS1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2x controller: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S4DQ17J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1x remote: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SG7NLT8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1x 3m adhesive for connections: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO913C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Install

1. Measure, cut, and connect three sections of LED strip for the upper tent portion. 2x long side lengths and 1x short width length. I made the mistake of attaching the strips to the roof before connecting them together and testing. This caused me to incorrectly place one strip in relation to the other two, essentially one strip had the 12V pin on the outside while the other two had the 12v pin on the inside. This caused me to have to create a custom connector to flip the wires. I didn’t like this solution because it was a weak failure point so I pulled the incorrect strip and placed a new section to correctly align the 12V pins in the same orientation.
  2. Connect the three strips with 90 degree angle connectors from the kit. Test the continuity of the connectors before attaching to ensure a solid connection because some of them didn’t work out of the box until I reseated the connections. Open the connectors before connecting to the LED strips to provide good points to test with a multimeter to ensure the connection is continuous and complete. This was a pain and took the longest time. Slow is fast in this step.
  3. Use one of the wire connectors from the kit to create a flexible extension cable that will be connected to the provided extension cable that is routed throw the cable hole in the GFC platform. Attach the LED strip, wire connector, and extension cable. Run the extension cable through the lower platform to the truck bed portion.
  4. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to place the LED strips inside the lower frame (truck bed portion). There is a small overhang lip that runs the length of the lower platform where I placed the LED strips.
  5. Create another wire extension like in step 3 but for the lower portion.
  6. Use the 2 to 1 cable to attach the upper and lower LED strips. Test the functionality using the power supply and remote that came with the LEDs.
  7. Once the LED functionality is verified install the separately purchased controllers to allow for independent control of the two zones, top and bottom. This allows you to turn on one without turning on the other with the separately purchased remote. If you don’t care about independent zone control you can simply use the provided controller and remote that came with the LED strips.
  8. Create the necessary power cables to go from the 2x controllers to whatever power supply you have in your truck. In my case I have a dedicated electrical box that houses my Lithium batteries, solar charger, alternator charger, inverter, SPOD, Pico Simarine, and low voltage fuse block. I used quick disconnect power connectors at each end of the cables to allow me to quickly detach lights and my other electronics from the electrical box so that I can easily remove everything from the truck bed when I need to use it for hauling.

Video Link

Finally had some time to take some pictures after I used 3M moulding tape to adhere the 90 degree connections. Now I just need to wrap up the power connections with some anderson power connectors. The pictures below are the RGB LED strips set to white.

Bottom

7 Likes

I finally had time to take pictures of my electrical setup in my GFC. Winter has arrived in Idaho and to prevent unnecessary battery degradation I store my setup in my garage when not on a trip. After my initial prototype I designed this second iteration to have quick disconnects of all components (power sources, power sinks, and control) to enable for quick install and removal. It takes about 30 minutes for me to install or remove it. I’ll break this up into multiple posts to make it easier.

Full View

Close-up

Removed

Driver Side

Passenger Side

Wiring through GFC panel

Camp Lights and Weboost Antenna

Solar Panels

Front Panel Closeup

USB and 120V Power

SPOD

Simarine Pico Power Monitoring System- Main View

Pico Power Sources/Sinks

Pico Power Sources/Sinks Second Screen

Pico Barograph

LED Controls for Lower GFC (Tent LEDs not pictures

Control Box View while inside the camper

3kW Inverter inside the camper

2 Likes

Removal and storage of components when not being used

Remove upper control box

Remove inverter and batteries

Batteries and Inverter outside of camper

Batteries side view

Inverter quick disconnects

Control box top view

Quick disconnect cabling for solar, alternator, fridge, and shore power

Stored underneath my mobile workbench in my garage

4 Likes

Background
I’m a Computer and Systems Engineer for the DoD by trade. My Master’s thesis in college involved the design and implementation of the electric propulsion system of a hybrid racecar so designing and building complex control systems has been in my skillset for quite some time. My current job mainly focuses on the software side of things, so this hobby gave me a way to get back to my roots of working directly with hardware components and design.

Overview
I created my setup in two phases. My first prototype focused on batteries, inverter, solar, and general layout. After I tested my prototype I began the process of designing the second phase to be modular, quick and easy to control, and to allow for fine tune control and monitoring of each subsystem. The end goal was to have a setup that I can quickly install for trips and easily removable for when I need to use my truck as a truck for lumber and cargo.

Power Source Components

• 4x 100W solar panels mounted to the top (Renogy)
  • Renogy 40 amp solar charge controller
  • Renogy 40 amp DC to DC charger connected to vehicle battery
  • Renogy 3kW inverter/charger to connect to shore power

Control and Sensing Components

• Pico Simarine with multiple sub components for monitoring power input and consumption for each device (bluetooth app and touchscreen display)
  • SPOD and switch panel for controlling components such as camping lights and future additions (bluetooth and switch panel control)
  • Circuit breakers to individual control the connections for solar panels, solar charger, alternator, SPOD, low power circuits (lights, fridge, etc)
  • Master circuit breaker between the batteries and everything else
  • LED strips and their color controller by remote

Power Consumers

• Domentic 75 DZW
  • 2x Baja Design S2 Pros (work scene) for camping lights mounting to the top of the GFC tent. These can be aimed as needed and provide all the light I need outside
  • LED strips in the upper and lower portions of the GFC
  • 2x 120V outlet
  • 4x USB plugs

Usage and Performance
I typically use my setup as a basecamp for climbing and mountaineering trips. It provides a way for me to stay off the grid for weeks at a time. I’ve ran it for two weeks without even coming close to running out of power. I typically charge my batteries using solar or shore power at home and then rely on solar during trips. The alternator power source hasn’t been needed on any of my trips yet. Some might call it overkill but I didn’t want to worry about lack of power when I am working remotely or needing to charge all of my photography gear.

Current work

• Calibrating temp sensors for the Pico
  • Calibrating battery state of charge for a more accurate reading
  • Wiring my bumper Baja Design lights to the SPOD
  • Adding pictures of my Weboost cellular setup
  • Adding LED strips to the inside of the GFC panels that can be used when panels are open
  • Adding small speakers and audio inputs for glamping
  • Updating my wiring diagram

As I have more time I will update with further information.

7 Likes

Screenshots of various apps for controlling and monitoring the system.

SPOD

Pico

Renogy Solar Charger

2 Likes

Looks great! I love the idea of it being removable.

2 Likes

I also planned to make a electrical car with solar panels and electrical fuel instead of fossil fuels.

I have a similar end goal, but will most likely wait for an auto manufacturer to release an electric 4x4 van that meets my mileage needs. The range needed just isn’t available on the market yet. A custom solution would be a lot of fabrication work.

In the meanwhile I’ll get plenty of usage out of my truck/gfc setup for the next few years.