PNW: Owyhee Canyonlands / Alvord Desert / Steens Mountain trip?

I could be in for a spring trip.

Iā€™ve watched a few videos of owyhee trips and it looks amazing. Letā€™s not let this trip die and actually plan early so we can make a date work for everyone!

1 Like

I would be interested in a spring trip also. Went up and joined some cool peeps from TW to do the WA BDR last Sept, was a blast. I am also open to doing some OR BDR miles. BDR is Backcountry Discovery Route if you donā€™t already know.

Iā€™m glad to see the interest, I really want to get over there and check that part of the state out.

Hi all! I just came back from Oregon Tripā€¦It was really long journey to get there and spend amazing 5 days in Oregon.

Here is my first episode of trip. Subscribe my channel please you can watch the next episodes.

2 Likes

With the sunsets in PNW now crossing the 5pm line, it means spring is on my mind. Does April or May sound reasonable?

1 Like

I think April or May sound perfect. Spring hasnā€™t been on my mind with the week of Winter storm we just had but youā€™re right @heaveho that it is coming soon.

For those that are interested Iā€™m leaning toward some time in the 2nd half of April. Would that be workable? Iā€™m still unsure on number of days/nights overall - work is likely a consideration for folks (me included) so this can be a bit flexible.

Let me know if youā€™re interested, Iā€™m really stoked for the upcoming season!

Following alongā€¦if timing works Iā€™ll head up from Reno.

2 Likes

Good to hear that the timing suggestion did work for you, @rdonahe. Iā€™ve found this area to be pleasant temperature wise during the early spring, but could be exposed to moisture from left over spring melt and or the rain showers. Yes, Iā€™m suggesting muddy conditions :smiley: I myself will budget 5-6 days for the trip.

That being said, the intention of the trip is to also hike / bike also. Hot springs are also an option in the region too.

2 Likes

Iā€™m definitely interested in joining to bike

Hey PNW crew - letā€™s talk dates. Iā€™m wanting to do this over a long weekend to try to minimize the vacation days required. Iā€™m reasonably open late April/early May at the moment but to get the calendar conversation started Iā€™m thinking either:

1. Thursday 4/18 to Monday 4/22
  • OR *
  1. Thursday 4/25 to Monday 4/29

Iā€™m thinking start at the Alvord Desert and then head to Owyhee Canyon from there, though itinerary is open to suggestions.

If interested let me know what dates above you would prefer. Thanks!

3 Likes

This general date range would be good for me. I may take a whole week off but would be stoked to link up for whichever dates work best for everyone.

1 Like
1 Like

Those dates also work for me. I can get away pretty easily but would like to lock a date in sooner than later!

I vote for #2. I also plan on staying out a day or 2 longer overall. Iā€™m ok with starting in Alvord, but something to consider is that the Alvord Playa may be still soggy. Climbing up to Steens may not be an option due to snowpack left behind.

1 Like

Hi Gents,
I am not definite yet, but definitely interested.
So ballpark where do we think we would end up at the end? I have a Moab trip starting on May 2nd so if I make it I will need a couple days to get down there. If the early week is the plan then I will also have some extra days up there, my preference.

Iā€™m would be coming from San Diego and do not know my way around that area at all.
Will anyone be putting out tracks or itinerary?
And a huge thank you to all who are putting in the work to schedule and plan this trip. I know it is a lot of work.

Sam

Seems like the second dates would be best to tie into your Moab trip. That should leave enough time.

This is a serious road trip!

Looks like Thursday 4/25 to Monday 4/29 is the timing. Letā€™s put that on our calendars.

@Semi - this schedule should work perfectly to get you to Moab by May 2nd. I donā€™t plan to share any tracks or detailed itinerary as weā€™ll need to be a bit flexible depending on weather, trail/road conditions, etc.

My rough itinerary sketch:

• Meet up at Alvord Desert (will publish GPS coords for location at a later date) Thursday afternoon/evening 4/25. Spend night on the Alvord playa.
  • Head to Owyhee canyon and figure it out from thereā€¦ :smiley:
  • Steens mountain in my eye is optional depending on time available

For the Owyhee canyon I have 2 priorities:

1. Leslie Gulch area (43.32173, -117.32068)
  2. Three Forks Hot Springs (42.53019, -117.18392)

One of this group (@heaveho) has explored the Owyhee before so Iā€™m definitely open to input. All I have at the moment is ā€œinternet knowledgeā€ and a sense of adventure.

Any concerns that the playa is going to be wet still that early in the year? I havenā€™t been to Alvord but I know the Black Rock Playa in north western NV can be bottomless mud until late June/early July in wet years, which is the prediction for this winter.

That said, Iā€™ve added the dates to my calendar. I will probably have to try and catch up on Friday and then bail on Sunday if I can make itā€¦unless weā€™re able to get afterschool routines sorted for my kids.