PNW: Owyhee Canyonlands / Alvord Desert / Steens Mountain trip?

Count me in

Concerns? Yes. I have only been there in July so Spring time is unknown for me. I think we are just going to have to play it by ear. I’ll figure out a Thursday meeting location that is near but not technically on the playa just in case.

I did encounter some wet areas on the Alvord even in July and very nearly got stuck. So I have no desire to be anywhere near a wet playa, agreed that it is virtually bottomless mud.

I have never been but I also have no desire to be buried haha

If the playa is wet (which is very likely) Pike Creek could be a good second option as a gathering point for meeting up and camping on the first night. I used to camp there just about every year for free but now it is owned/managed by the same family that runs the hot spings nearby. There is a fee but could be a good jumping off point and easy to find.

Pike Creek Campground
42.57576, -118.52927

1 Like

Not that I am going but I have been on the playa in April and May and have experienced both wet and dry conditions. Even when wet it was just the middle so the edges were drivable. You guys are flexible so thats helpful, just don’t count it out. wish i could make it, love the Alvord.

Another concern I have are potential water crossings at this time of the year. The hot springs near 3 forks has one. On the side of the hot spring of interest, may not produce a good as a camping / driving experience as the non-hot spring side. In a situation like this, it would depend on what we want or hope for a low enough water level :smiley:

1 Like

Mann Lake, just north up is also another option.

When leaving the area, we can look to go through the Mickey Hot Springs area. To my knowledge, this hot spring is much too hot to soak in.

1 Like

Yep, I have camped at Mann Lake and that is my current backup plan.

This part of Oregon is by far my favorite. You guys should definitely stop in Fields and get a burger or breakfast. The shakes are also amazing!

5 Likes

FYI it is looking doubtful I will make it. Have a busy May and wife says over a month gone is too long. If anything changes will post back up.

Big fan of Alvord!

2 Likes

I’m curious how many of you that have spent time in the Alvord desert have also been out in the black rock desert? I’m guessing the playa portions will be similar but I’m curious how the off playa terrain compares.

Also, is this trip family friendly? If I go I’ll likely have my kids and possibly wife with me (which means I’ll bring the trailer too).

I would say it’s absolutely family friendly.

1 Like

For sure family friendly. I mean I may drop the occasional F bomb but I’m pretty good around kids.

Never been to Black Rock Desert but have been to the Alvord. Based in the pics out of the last Burning Man where it was wet it did look similar.

Just to whet the appetite of folks on the fence, here are some pics from my trip to the Alvord in July 2020. This is pre-GFC and I was rolling a Lexus GX470 w/RTT.

Steens summit area looking down at the playa:

6 Likes

Dang, Steens summit is amazing!

Has anyone done this in a heavy-duty truck? I am particularly interested in doing Steens. I have a 2500 for towing my business trailer.

My camper is on the way to Sacramento (earliest available). I grew up in northern NV so it would be cool to make the trip to see family exclusively overland going forward.

Steens Mountain as I recall can be accessed in sort of a loop. I think it is common that RVs, and other big rigs, will access Steens from the North but not the South as that has some narrow sections of road that are exposed.

As far as access to the playa I know of 3 different ways on, I’m sure there are more, and 2 of the 3 would be fine for a full size truck.

1 Like

Thanks, appreciate you.

I recently informed my kids that the truck is a safe space for them to start dropping f-bombs and the ear to ear grins were pretty funny. I figure that’s a good spot for me to monitor how they are using curse words and guide their newly expanded vocabulary (7 and 8 year olds).

4 Likes