Positive pressure venting for dust mitigation

I’m hoping to track down some positive pressure vents that are smaller than what I’ve seen other forum members use. Has anyone used something like this for dust mitigation?

These are what are used on our Patriot Camper and they work well so I’ve messaged them to see where they source them but I’m wondering if there is something similar available domestically.

4 Likes

I haven’t used them, but are these them? Looks like they could be a good alternative.

Molded Sea Dog Nylon Gas Tank Vents

1 Like

Looks spot on! Id be curious to see how well these work. Seems like stickyTaco has had some good luck with his camper trailer.

Those sure look like it. I went ahead and ordered 2. I’ll report back on how they work in a few weeks.

2 Likes

where do you plan to install them?

Plan is either the top corners of the front panel or the top corners at the front of the side panels. My preference would be the front panel but I need to check clearances once the parts arrive.

2 Likes

@stickyTaco - These are so rad!

Hate to sound needy here, but if this works well, do you mind sharing an install guide/how-to on the process? Would be curious to know your reasoning behind the vent placement once you nail that down too.

5 Likes

Will do @GFC-Thayne. I’m no engineer but whatever Patriot has done on their trailers seems to work really well so I’m just trying to copy that. There is a larger filtered inlet (I was told they use a Briggs & Stratton air inlet/filter) and these vents just let the air escape.

I have some more work ahead of me to figure this all out but I was thinking of installing them on front panel because if it doesn’t work I can always use the holes to route wiring. I’ll mount them as high as possible to get them up out of the dustier air.

That said, these vents are on the sides on the trailer a but I’m not sure of the reasoning. You can see one of the vents just above the propane tank in this pic if you zoom in.

I’ll update here as I get everything together.

3 Likes

I was able to spend some time looking at the positive pressure venting on the trailer today. These slots are forward facing and super exposed to dust from the tow vehicle and rain when driving.

They used a Briggs and Stratton air filter and have a mount/airbox that is riveted to the inside of the front panel

I’m thinking of mounting a similar airbox (to be sourced or fabricated) on the passenger side front panel.

2 Likes

Curious to see how these work out as well.

Watching the thread. I’m considering the Platform Topper for my F-350 and spend a fair amount of time on Nevada’s dirt roads. Thank you!

Just an idea but with the topper you could do one in the roof like how the RSI Smartcap does it. Their system is dialed in and works amazingly well.

1 Like

Ordered a Briggs and Stratton air filter and an aluminum box today. Hopefully I’ll have some more progress to share by the end of the month.

I decided not to use the fuel vents since there isn’t an easy way to mitigate water intrusion.

More to come.

Any word on how any of these vent worked

I guess not

@Frijolito and @Brendan2934, I’ve been busy with other projects and traveling so I have not made any progress beyond collecting parts. I’d say maybe this fall/winter but I’m hoping I’ll be busy with a construction project.

I’m also somewhat hesitant to cut a the hole in the front panel of the camper but after drilling a couple of holes for a solar install I may get past that eventually…seems stupid to be hung up on it given the number of times I’ve let the cutoff wheel loose on my truck :laughing:

The reason they seem exposed and that you have all that nasty gravel rash is that you don’t have a Stone Stomper. It will take care of both of those issues, and keep the rear end of the truck much cleaner too… The air filter will last a lot longer too.

[HOW TO: Stone Stomper Gravel Guard. - Towing an Oliver - Oliver Owner Forums]

John Davies
Spokane WA

That is dirt, not gravel rash and it isn’t an issue. The filter/airbox does a great job keeping the dust out of the trailer which is why I plan to duplicate it on the GFC.

A stone stomper won’t prevent dust and water from hitting the front of the trailer…just gravel that is kicked of from the tires. I have a friend that runs one and the front of his trailer gets just as dirty as mine.

That is simply incorrect. I ran one for seven years on an Oliver Legacy Elite 11 and it did a fantastic job of keeping dust and rain spray off the front of the trailer and the rear of the truck. One caviat - you MUST attach the fabric underneath the camper, not in front of it, which leaves a big gap there.

After 25,000 miles of towing and lots of gravel, the trailer looked like new when I sold it. The Stone Stomper is a lifesaver if you get caught on a long stretch of freshly chip sealed highway with no detour.

John Davies
Spokane WA

A stone stomper is a solution to a problem I don’t have. The vent is high on the Patriot and while a stone stomper catches rocks and water spray off the rear tires (and some dust), the trailer still gets hit with rainfall and all that dust that billows off the tow vehicle…I have seen it in action on another Patriot trailer and the top of their trailer was just as filthy as mine after ≈100 miles of trail.

Again, my issue with dust intrusion isn’t with the trailer, I’m trying to limit the dust in the GFC. This pic might give you an idea about the dust I’m talking about and why a stone stomper is not the answer I’m looking for…I was the solo vehicle so all that dust on the truck is self generated.

1 Like