Rear panel removal V2

Today I attempted to take off the rear panel of my V2. I disengaged the 3 quarter-turn locks along the top rail and I popped off the gas springs. However something is still catching along the top rail and I’m wondering if I’m missing a step or little trick to it.

The actual removal of the panel was missing from the V2 unveil video. It seems like the process is not as quick as they made it appear to be.

1 Like

Don’t have a V2 but when I remove my rear panel I often forget the brake light wire?

Did you take the end caps off of the hinges?

If someone knows how to remove the panels, please do a video. I think most would be interested. I thought it was as simple as 4 bolts. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn’t, and there’s a catch…

Peace.

Are you talking about V1?

I think he’s referencing V2 since they redesigned how the panel connects to make it easier. V1 remove is not officially covered under warranty if you remove it where V2 has panels that are designed to be removable.

Thanks for sharing the V1 embassy hinge video. I have a V2. It looks like Graeme is doing some prying with a screwdriver right here and I have not yet tried that: https://youtu.be/glaLVGkifno?t=594

1 Like

@DoubleDown commented above about removing the endcaps and then @GFC706 is asking about removing the rear panel and he owns a V1 that’s why I was sharing the video.

@docdave15, have you been removing your rear panel? I took mine off a couple of times to see if I would like doing bike shuttles that way. GFC markets the rear panel removal as a benefit to doing bike shuttles but I don’t really see it. I have been thinking about removing all of the panels this summer for a little bit.

I have not been removing it. Yeah I just picked up a used tailgate pad for bike shuttles and I’m not seeing any need to remove the panel, if I am driving on smooth paved roads. Frame opening is wider and taller than my previous fiberglass topper, so loading bikes is easier.

2 Likes

I took off all my panels one day mostly because I like messing with things and I don’t think there is any real use case for it other than its fun to take things apart.

1 Like

Before owning a GFC I was an open bed guy. Never had a camper shell. I thought this would be the next best thing to taking the whole thing off. At least for a little bit. My dream would be two trucks. One with an open bed and one that was dedicated to the GFC and camping.

1 Like

Flatbed work truck, GFC decked out camping truck, and a Jeep for crawling! Thats all I ask for. :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the video. That’s what I was trolling for. Didn’t know that existed. Looks pretty straightforward. Not sure why it’s not a warranty covered feature of the V1 with embassy hinge, but I don’t know exactly how the V2 comes apart. It may be much more idiot proof with the V2. I suppose there are ways a simpleton such as myself could ruin the hinge by reinstalling incorrectly.

Peace.

1 Like

I’m also unsure how to fully remove the v2 rear panel. I can get as far removal of the struts, rear light, quarter turn screws but at that point it still seems to be attached by something. It seems like it should just pull off at that point but I’ve worked on it a couple times and am not looking to force and break it.

GFC didn’t fully demonstrate the removal at my install appointment either, just kinda breezed by it, so I’m thinking that it’s is less than quick and easy? Maybe someone with an upcoming v2 install could ask and report back?

1 Like

The tiny bolt that holds the end cap on the hinge is super easy to strip out as it is just threaded into the aluminum. I felt mine start to give with just light pressure. That’s my guess why they don’t recommend it.

1 Like

Got it. Good to know. If I ever so decide to remove my panels, I’ll be super careful. That’s why they make a big deal about the loctite!
I’m a truck shell kind of guy, that’s what I love about the GFC.

Peace.

GFC had to send me a new rear panel because they mistakenly made a Gen 3 Tacoma V2 camper for my Gen 2 Tacoma. Apparently they only difference is the rear panel door. The instructions below came directly from John Centorani at GFC.
“ To remove and replace the panel you will need to remove the strut clips and pop the top strut off. Resting the panel on your head or having the help of a friend, take a flathead and make a quarter turn on each of the three silver screws on the inside upper track of the panel. The panel should pop right off. Make sure that the breaklight wire is disconnected. You need to slide the black hinge off the old panel and slide it onto the new one. The reverse of this process will allow you to put the new panel on.

1 Like