Rear Universal Bracket Mount

Another DIY. All I ever wanted was a small rear end awning only to discover the GFC brackets I bought before the V2 camper can’t be mounted on the rear extrusion as they interfere with tent grab lip. So to create a spacer, cut a piece of 3/16” poly cutting board ($10) to match the mounting surface of the bracket, drilled out the holes and got 7/16” long socket head bolts ($10). Mounted up nice.

9 Likes

Nice! Looks like it worked perfect!

Brilliant!! How wide is your awning? I have 4’x8’ arb that I’d like to do the same thing with. I don’t have my camper yet, but been brainstorming ideas

1 Like

4’ CVT on a Tacoma. Perfect fit, latches just clear. Hope you get your camper soon. Cheers.

1 Like

I see you have the rain fly accessory for the rear facing tent door. Any issues deploying it with the awning mount? Thanks

1 Like

None at all, amazingly enough. It is a bit of a squeeze getting your fingers under the awning to push up the tent lip. I have a yakima rack on to that helps alot with pulling up on the tent. Closing up is just requires a bit more precision to line up the latches but overall, no problem.

1 Like

Please verify that thickness for me. It looks more like 7/16 than 3/16. I’m planning to mount a 23zero 180R.

Sorry for the cross post. You are corrrect it is 7/16th" thick. Appologies for the oversight.

I was able to use this technique to install a 1250mm ARB awning. But just some tips for people planning to do so. I would recommend getting the 48" CVT awning. The 1250mm ARB awning is 49.2" and requires removing one of the end caps to fit. It is very tight. I now must unzip the cover to open my tent. It works but isn’t ideal.

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

Make sure you babysit those zippers with wax. My rear mounted ARB lasted 8 months before the zipper became a pain in the ass! Good news is ARB is AWESOME at warranty; they just sent me a whole replacement awning!

1 Like

anybody try these mounts that look exactly like GFC brand but half the price?

I would like the CVT 48" but a pair of mounts for $120 doesn’t make sense for a $150 awning

Went ahead and borrowed the spacer idea and 3D printed a 1/2" thick rectangular spacer 2 inches in height and 5.5 inches in width. Will mount it once we finish dealing with the ice storm that’s passing through currently

6 Likes

All mounted up:

1 Like

I suppose that means the 1250mm ARB awning would be about perfect for an XL camper, as I believe the XL are just 6" wider?

1 Like

Yup it fits perfectly. I had one on my Xl, took it off for the winter as to not wreck it from road grime.