Rumpl or other down blanket?

I think that’d be plenty warm, but it probably won’t be easy to store quickly, or pack very small. If you have a store nearby, you might be able to take a stuff sack in to give it a try.

Looking at getting a Rumpl for my standard GFC. Do those of you that have them, have the 1 person or 2 person? It’s mainly me and my dog. I’d love to be able to keep the blanket in the tent when closing it to save room in the bed, so I worry the 2 person Rumpl will be too large. Does anyone have the sherpa version and like it? Are your Rumpl’s holding up well to dog claws? Thanks!!

I have both the 1 and 2 person versions. 1 person would be a tight fit me to keep both myself and my dog warm. I always air it out and pack it up after use because there is almost always a bit of condensation in the tent. My dog doesn’t move around much but it is basically a sleeping bag so depending on use case dogs nails could make short work of it if they like to make beds out of it. Mine has held up fine.

2 Likes

Thanks! That makes me definitely want to go with the 2-person. Yeah, forgot about the condensation. When I had my Tepui RRT I definitely got some condensation and I figure w/ the GFC it will probably be worse because of less ventilation doors/windows. Looks like Rumpl makes some blankets with Ripstop fabric, so I’ll probably try and go with one of those for the pup’s claws. He’s fairly gentle w/ them but shit happens. Thanks again!

2 Likes

2 person for sure

that is all I had to say, but I guess you can’t post something that short

1 Like

How heavy is your (beautiful) dog and do you have a system to get him up there other than overhead pressing him?

Haha. He weighs about 65lbs.
Girlfriend gets in the tent first then I just toss him through the hole. It’s not always easy. He doesn’t like to be picked up too often so he likes to play “catch me if you can”.

2 Likes

I have been camping quite a bit in my GFC. I have the two inch mattress so I added the Klymit double pad to the bed and love it. https://klymit.com/collections/sleeping-pads/products/double-v-sleeping-pad?variant=31722979885146
It’s super easy to inflate and deflate. It fits perfect in the Tacoma GFC platform. That along with the North Face Duo https://www.rei.com/product/153329/the-north-face-dolomite-one-duo-sleeping-bag its a great set up. For the last trip in the snow I added a fleece liner which made the 18 degree morning temps doable. Just my 2 cents! Note: I have a side tent door so moving the floor around for access is not an issue. Photos to follow… PS Go synthetic rather than down in wet weather as it will keep you warm even when wet…down is useless when wet. again my 2 cents

I like this for the lady and I:

TETON Sports Canvas Mammoth Queen-Size Double Sleeping Bag; Warm and Comfortable for Family Camping https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072V7RBC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6WyxEbXG1ZHB0

Camped in temps near 0 with no heater on in this bag and been plenty warm.

Did you have any issues with the width? We were looking at some bags 62" wide, but the sleeping platform is only 50"… we went with 2 Kelty Galactics that we’ll zipper together…they’re coming this week so not sure yet how they’ll fit

I have a Rumpl, a Pendleton blanket with fleece on one side and nylon on the other, and finally a ‘woobie’ that all live upstairs in my GFC. I change the top layer I use accordingly.

I have sleeping bags for different seasons too, but it is so easy to keep all three of those blankets up there and they have multiple uses. If my wife comes with, I go full bouge` and bust out the double flannel bag. She ends up stealing all the blankets anyway

2 Likes

Agree with that, I also got blankets for each season, but to my mind there are universal lightweighted blankets which are suitable to all year activities. Here is the article about it, I’m pretty sure that $50 isn’t a problem for most of us