Sealing and dust in the bed

I used one of these as well and it has helped a ton with the tailgate. Still need to seal around the edges of the tailgate but it helps a bunch

1 Like

I did both. Visually it seems like it would work. I don’t get light through the tailgate anymore.

3 Likes

I plan on adding a positive pressure vent like RSI and most Australian canopy makers use. I also noticed that the new Alu-Cab canopy comes with one.
Even with the tailgate weather seal I get far too much intrusion due to negative pressure in the bed.
Keith

The RSI vent works incredibly well. I’d love to have something similar on the GFC as it is a huge difference in dust intrusion.

After a week of ownership, all off road, this is my biggest complaint and disappointment by far. From an engineering perspective it seems relatively simple to rectify and a huge selling point in what is arguably becoming a crowded market.

2 Likes

After doing quite a bit of searching over on Expedition Portal and some Austrailian forums on controlling dust, I purchased this recommended all-aluminum vent. Here is where I mounted it and how it turned out. First test this weekend but driving around the street it should work very well. I may put a Uni foam ail filter on the inside if it lets in too much dust but with its placement as high as I can get it and on the passenger side, I am not anticipating much of an issue. The Uni frame/filter will be a very easy and low dollar solution if necessary though.

18 Likes

Just did three days in Eastern Oregon desert on gravel roads. This modification made a HUGE improvements. Almost zero dust in the bed. Winning! :grin:

6 Likes

Nice work finding this! I just ordered one. My RSI Smartcap was basically dust free with the vent even in Central Oregon volcanic silt, so excited to get back to less dust!

3 Likes

So is the concept here that by adding a vent all the dust gets pulled thru vs settling in the cab?

If the vent is set to scoop you end up with positive pressure inside the camper so it keeps the dust from working its way in.

4 Likes

Got the vent installed and so far so good. Excited to test it out. Although I am jealous of @PDX_Keith and his black rivets!

10 Likes

Nice work! Your products are the epitome of attention to detail. I would have assumed you’d buy black ones! Haha

Black Stainless Blind Rivets 3/16" x 1/4" 6-4 (.188-.250) Black Oxidized in USA (20 pcs) by Makers Bolt https://a.co/d/2K1rrsZ

2 Likes

@jedgar I notice you have your vent facing forward and @PDX_Keith has his facing rearward. pros and cons?

1 Like

They face either way. Hence my TWO pictures :grinning:

4 Likes

duh… I need to look closer. cool mod, keeping some more dust out would always be good

1 Like

What tool did you all use to cut out the vent? Will a dremmel do the job?

@Stick I just used an angle grinder and a hand file, but I think a dremmel with the nicer cut wheels or a jig saw would have been a better choice.

So you’d face the scoop open towards driving direction? This creates airflow front to back preventing dust from creeping?

Learning here haha…

Justin

I used a jig saw and it was pretty easy. I made my own template to make the opening as small as possible to make it cleaner on the inside. Also added some rubber metal trim around the opening. Rivets look nice, might have to swap my bolts out.

1 Like

Think water will come in if you forget to close it while driving in a rain storm? Or dust if you’re driving behind another vehicle on dirt roads?