Sealing and dust in the bed

I don’t have my GFC yet, but I’m wondering how well the seals work to keep dust out. I currently have a Leer 180 and have been working to seal up the tailgate, but the seals around the back window let a fair amount dust in. For those of you with GFCs in dustry climates ( I’m mostly in AZ and UT), how well do the seals on the sides and back work?
Thanks.

3 Likes

I don’t live in a particularly dusty area, but much of my driving has been on gravel forest service roads and the like. Overall, the camper is sealed super well, I find. I did end up adding some tailgate seal on the normal gaps in the tailgate (weatherstripping-ish) and so far have had no issues. I also have a bedrug installed, so I imagine that helps a bit too, but very little dust intrusion from the top.

1 Like

I don’t have mine yet either, but from what I understand, a bedrug makes a huge difference. Does anyone happen to have a recommendation for a brand?

1 Like

I’m up in the PNW, but spend a lot of time on dusty FS gravel roads and sandy BLM roads. I haven’t had any dust intrusion issues once I sealed the tailgate with weatherstripping. It was a losing battle last weekend when I kept tracking in sand on my shoes, but that is my own fault. A quick sweep and easy spray down makes the GFC really fast to clean.

2 Likes

BedRug is what I have. Solid.

1 Like

Depends entirely on the truck you have. Highly recommend sealing/upgrading your bed caps prior to install. If you plan on getting a bedrug that should seal everything else as well. I also installed a tailgate P-style seal to keep most the dust from working its way in the rear. I found it works great. I also upgraded to a heavy duty bulb seal for the camper and that has worked much better as it’s made for heavier truck caps. All of that said I rarely see any water or dust in the rear, but my bed caps aren’t sealed, so I expect some infiltration.

1 Like

Build 238 here, the unit is as dust proof as I believe one could have. Im referencing drive time in AZ mainly and considering you can improve your own weather strip if it’s not to your liking. On a recent hunt a fellow hunter with a ARE cab, whom had dust in his bed commented how clean the bed and gear was with the GFC. I’m used to having more dust in the cab area from rolling down the windows than in the bed and sleeping area.

1 Like

Reviving an old thread but here is something I have added to further seal the camper from any dust intrusion.
[https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00R8KBV9Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title#]
I noticed a lot of dust during a baja trip and hopefully this product mitigates that.

4 Likes

I used one of these as well and it has helped a ton with the tailgate. Still need to seal around the edges of the tailgate but it helps a bunch

1 Like

I did both. Visually it seems like it would work. I don’t get light through the tailgate anymore.

3 Likes

I plan on adding a positive pressure vent like RSI and most Australian canopy makers use. I also noticed that the new Alu-Cab canopy comes with one.
Even with the tailgate weather seal I get far too much intrusion due to negative pressure in the bed.
Keith

The RSI vent works incredibly well. I’d love to have something similar on the GFC as it is a huge difference in dust intrusion.

After a week of ownership, all off road, this is my biggest complaint and disappointment by far. From an engineering perspective it seems relatively simple to rectify and a huge selling point in what is arguably becoming a crowded market.

2 Likes

After doing quite a bit of searching over on Expedition Portal and some Austrailian forums on controlling dust, I purchased this recommended all-aluminum vent. Here is where I mounted it and how it turned out. First test this weekend but driving around the street it should work very well. I may put a Uni foam ail filter on the inside if it lets in too much dust but with its placement as high as I can get it and on the passenger side, I am not anticipating much of an issue. The Uni frame/filter will be a very easy and low dollar solution if necessary though.

18 Likes

Just did three days in Eastern Oregon desert on gravel roads. This modification made a HUGE improvements. Almost zero dust in the bed. Winning! :grin:

6 Likes

Nice work finding this! I just ordered one. My RSI Smartcap was basically dust free with the vent even in Central Oregon volcanic silt, so excited to get back to less dust!

3 Likes

So is the concept here that by adding a vent all the dust gets pulled thru vs settling in the cab?

If the vent is set to scoop you end up with positive pressure inside the camper so it keeps the dust from working its way in.

4 Likes

Got the vent installed and so far so good. Excited to test it out. Although I am jealous of @PDX_Keith and his black rivets!

10 Likes

Nice work! Your products are the epitome of attention to detail. I would have assumed you’d buy black ones! Haha

Black Stainless Blind Rivets 3/16" x 1/4" 6-4 (.188-.250) Black Oxidized in USA (20 pcs) by Makers Bolt https://a.co/d/2K1rrsZ

2 Likes