September Road Trip: Whistler to Tucson via Hwy 1

Hey all,

I’m new to the community and am potentially taking a trip to Canada to pick up a V2. The plan is to take a direct route from Tucson to Whistler through Idaho, without taking too much time to get there. After a day of mountain biking in Whistler, I plan on heading to the Olympic Peninsula to spread my grandma’s ashes, then to the Redwoods in NorCal for a night, and take Hwy 1 all the way down to LA before the final leg to Tucson.

I’m looking for suggestions and advice for this monster of a trip. Biggest things I’m worried about is camping permits and campsite suggestions that aren’t wildly expensive and are fairly secluded. Ideally on some BLM land, but I know that’s not likely along the Pacific Coast. The trip will happen late September, maybe into the first week of October.

Lastly, I’m here for all your recommendations for food/coffee/beer/surf spots/mtb trails along the way. I’m currently deployed and I feel like my soul needs some time in nature to decompress.

Thanks for your time, if you made it this far, and I hope to hear from you!

Cheers!
RescueRandy

Hi Randy,
1st, thank you for your service.
I recommend getting the paid version of onX or Gaia and download maps to a tablet. This will show you forest service roads and out of the way locations. I rarely camp in campgrounds, always try to find secluded spots in the wild and downloading the offline maps allows you to find them when you are out of cell / Wi-Fi service.
Careful in Washington state, couple years ago I took a trip up there for the WABDR and got a ticket for camping in a DNR campsite without paying the $15, ended up costing $100. If you camp in a spot like that plan to be gone early, by 6 or so.
Best wishes for a safe and relaxing trip.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on the DNR campsites!