Ski rack woes………

@jedgar Is there enough of a market here to design a bracket that bolts to the exterior extrusion or inside the tent that would accept a commercially available adjustable tarp/tent pole? I’m tempted to sendcutsend something.

2 Likes

I was unsuccessful in finding the technical specifications from the manufacture on their website. I’ve gone ahead and emailed them about it and will follow-up if I get an answer.

Some salad thoughts so far. My V1 camper uses C16- series units (C16-34711), so at least I can reasonably say they’re Nitrogen filled. Nitrogen is affected by temperature. Some general rule of thumb on nitrogen filled gas struts is force changes ~3% for every 10*C. Once I get the specifications and how they get get their force numbers, I’ll do some calculations.

Below is a the illustration of their spring characteristic curve on the C16 series if anyone is interested

Source (Page 8): Download

Yall realize struts can be purchased pretty cheap.
Prices are certainly varying. On my truck topper, i used to repalce the struts on the rear window every other year. While it wasn’t always required, after about a year of living in Bend, Or (cold winters, hot summers) i found they needed replacement.
Just saying in general replacement isnt that expensive.
I realize not everyone has a ton of dollars to spend, but if folks are talking about heavy modifications on their GFC there is no reason to not purchase a less than $40 pair of strust just in case.

Yall are totally correct, they should last longer but struts are very effected by their environment. I give GFC props to moving them to the inside as this was/ is a great idea to give them less effect due to surroundings.

The weight of the glass makes them sag. Mine have always been a little droopy especially in the cold. I was going to replace mine but then broke my glass and replaced it with Lexan. Its much lighter so now no sag. Cheapest easiest solution is probably stronger strut.

2 Likes

My 2 cents… Overtime the struts will ware out probably not a design flaw but if yours is brand new and not staying open with a little weight then maybe. No skis but these kayaks are about 50 lbs each. Colder weather would effect this as well. If they used struts that stayed firm with 100 lbs in cold weather all the time then there would be complaints that its too hard to close when empty.

1 Like

I dont think most GFC owners ever have an issue @mtck and a prop rod or strut locks solve it pretty cleanly for those who dont.

1 Like

Just wait until you have 4 of them angering you :sweat_smile: