Sliders--Kickouts or no?

Sorry if it bothers anybody to post questions like this here, but I appreciate the vibe here better than some other places on the internet. What are folks’ opinions on kick-outs for sliders? I finally decided on the Caliraised Trail edition (25 degree) but can’t quite decide on the kickout or not.

I like my kickouts. Thankfully haven’t really had to use them for vehicle protection, but the added benefit of additional step up location to access roof racks, etc is really useful. I don’t see a downside to getting them.

2 Likes

I have those exact sliders. Love them. I recommend the kickouts.

Peace.

1 Like

Get the kick outs. No one ever wishes they didn’t get them. More protection, plus larger foot placement area for doing anything atop your truck.

2 Likes

Kickouts saved the entire rear quarter panel of my previous 3rd Gen 4Runner in a not so good situation. Highly recommend them.

2 Likes

Better to have them and not need them. With 25 degrees you won’t even notice them.

1 Like

Agreed. A kickout helped keep me clear of a boulder as the opposite wheel slid off a rock in that direction. The other reasons mentioned also hold true, in my experience.

1 Like

I like the kick outs and have used them. Work great to push me away from the rock!.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. Finally got my sliders delivered and installed.

2 Likes

Seems like most get sliders with the 25 degree. I was thinking of getting the caliraised with zero so it could be used for protection and a step. Is there an advantage to the 25 degree design? Anyone use the 25 degree ones as a step?

we have pelfreybilt 25 with kickout (on both trucks), can step on them - kids can use the kickout to be an actual step, the cali-raised can be very tight to the body which actually leaves you with less to step on (my buddy has some cali-raised 25)

3 Likes

I have cali raised. I have the 25 degree sliders. I do use them as a step to access the wheel strap on my roof bike rack. It works fine for that with some grip tape. As far as a normal step into the cab, they don’t really stick out enough to be used for that purpose, imo.

Peace.

2 Likes

I have BAMF with 20º. You can step on them if you need to. Kick out is great for getting up to the roof rack, an added bonus. I have a DCLB tacoma and would recommend the kick-out for the longer trucks.

3 Likes

I have Mobtown Offroad 20 degree. Helps to get to higher spots, and Id imagine it help when I get my camper. Plus they have a cool splash zone

3 Likes

Agree exactly with GFC706.

I really like my caliraised although I haven’t “used” them yet. A word of caution: I think I read on their site that it should take an individual about an hour to install? Well, I have zero mechanical aptitude, also thought an extra pair of hands would be useful, and shipping was cheaper to a commercial address–so I just sent it to my local 4WheelParts. It took them 2.5 hrs to install…

Kickouts for sure!
Filler plates, no way. I am battling rust from salty water that got entrained between underside of filler plate and the outer tube. I do wash down the underside but apparently that was not enough.
Keep your sliders protected with fluid film.

3 Likes

Seems like the unpopular decision here but I went with no kick out. Instead I had Relentless Fabrication build some bolt on flat sliders with fill plates. I lose a little bit of ground clearance not having a 25° rise in them but they are great for the kids to use climbing into the truck and give me good access to the roof of the vehicle.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I have heard some of the rock crawlers that do it more regularly that they’ve found the kickouts sometimes cause the obstacle to get stuck between the slider and the rear wheel. It might be situational or depend on where you’re wheeling, but I thought it was an interesting observation and it might be something to look into if you’re on the fence. Hard to argue with the extra foot support when using it for a step, but I’d probably opt for not having them if I ever ditch my retractable steps for proper rock sliders. I just like the look of a straight slider better. BTW I love the pinstriping @stickyTaco, that’s doing it the right way. :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like