Snow Load on roof of GFC

I know that not all snow is of equal weight per volume. But can anyone provide a ballpark estimate of the snow-load capacity of a closed camper. I couldn’t find the weight limit on the GFC site, though I’m sure I’ve seen it in the past.

I think it’s around 500 with it closed

500# closed, which would be a lot of snow…

1 Like

A typical dry snow in Colorado runs about 6% water content by volume. If I’m doing my math right, that would be 50 inches of snow on top of GFC.

3 Likes

I’ve always wondered, is that 500lbs number supposed to mean load directly on the honeycomb material or on a rack attached to the extrusion? I assume it means on a rack so snow load on the roof may be less. @Mike_GFCUSA what do you say?

1 Like

This is a difficult question to answer.
The amount of variables is endless.

I can say we have had multiple campers, many campers even, sit through the entire last winter outside in the snow, without a single issue. That is one whole Montana winter, without snow removal from the top, without a single camper having issue. And these are on the ground (on pallets) next to one another which would allow the snow to pile even higher than it would on a truck or as a solitary camper on the ground. So the odds of you ever even getting close to that capacity is very low. 500# of snow is an insane amount when you look at the surface area of the top of the camper. I can say that 500# of snow would be no problem and that you will likely never have even close to that on the camper.

3 Likes

Ok thanks all. I won’t worry about it then.

1 Like

I should add that with the tent closed it is also being supported by the floor, cushions and tent material as well so ti is even more stout. Although I think it would be cool to do a competition on who has the most snowfall on top of their GFC at one time during this winter!

3 Likes

I didn’t have a problem with snow weight but on a similar note I just finished a 5 day trip through Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and Nevada. I have four solar panels on my GFC (15 lbs each plus 3 beef racks) and the tent wouldn’t pop up the entire way in below freezing temps. The colder it was, the more it sagged from 4 to 6 inches. If I pushed it up with my have it fell right back down. @Mike_GFCUSA is this to be expected? I assume it is under the 100lb limit because I don’t think 3 beef racks account for another 40lbs.

the roof only claims to support 100 pounds while open, right? but guessing your panels are still no where near that.

1 Like

given the rigidity of that roof panel and as Mike pointed out above, given that the roof panel is closed on top of bedding/cushions, it would take a helluva snow to even think about causing issue with that material. The 500# is a roof rack load with the weight being located more or less directly over the side extrusions. Transparent roof material is not intended to take a 500 pound load. Having this camper for several months now I wouldn’t even be worried about snow/ice loads, not even the slightest. If that material gives under snow load id say the hood of your truck is going with it.

2 Likes

The weight limit is heavily based upon where the weight is located. I try to tell everyone it can support more or less than the estimated weight when opening depending on the location of the weight. The more that is forward the better, if the weight is in the rear it will affect it a ton more. Also the cold temps may be having something to do with the gas being less effective in the struts.

1 Like

It’s on! Let the snow fly!