So what is the single most useful, coolest, simplest, or best aspect of your build?

That’s sweet and easy~

Awesome plate system! Howd you mount to the bed? Factory mount areas or did you end up drilling into it?

It’s not mounted at all right now. It’s just staying in place by its own weight and tight fit. If it becomes a problem when I actually start hitting trails after ski season, then I’ll come up with something to mount to the bed sides and/or tie downs.

2 Likes

What size nut inserts do you go with for heavier objects? I like this idea a lot.

I can’t say I’ve put anything I would consider heavy on it. The fully loaded ski rack would be the biggest stressor I’ve attached so far. But I just use 1/4-20 hardware for everything. It’s extremely common, inexpensive, can be bought in large quantities, and has been more than enough for my needs. My biggest recommendation with nut inserts is to make sure you get the screw-in type with a flanged head. The tap-in type are not terribly difficult to pull out. I’ve also broken the head off of the non-flanged type while inserting with a hex wrench. The flange seems to provide a little extra strength at the wrenching point.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, I’ve got a plate system and I’ve been using t nuts on the back side. Kind of a pain to pull the plate out now and flip it over to install the t nuts. Your method may be my new go to.

McMaster-Carr is an excellent resource for all types of threaded inserts along with a plethora of other hardware items.

1 Like