Solar Roof Vent Install

Nice! I was actually just looking at these as a possible solution for GFC’s as my buddy’s RTT (different brand) came with one. Seems like it should be able to solve or at least minimize condensation buildup. Look forward to your feedback after you get some nights in it.

2 Likes

You get any nights in it yet? Curious to know your thoughts and how it has worked out for you?

Does that one have a power swith and/or run at night or only when the sun shines on it?

1 Like

We have done a few nights but it’s been warm and dry out. So waiting for it to cool off again before I get a real test.

It has a battery in it. So it charges during the day. And it seems to run all night so far.

2 Likes

The one i posted says it has a power switch in the amazon posting. I have not personally used it. Just pointing out cheaper models as folks where balking at price.

1 Like

How is the noise, I imagine it’s quite low with that small of a drive.

You can hear it when it’s really quiet. But it’s not obnoxious. It’s pretty quiet itself. I’m hoping it will move the air just enough that it can pull through from the smaller windows. I suppose we’ll find out when it cools down again.

1 Like

Anymore on this? Any nights out in the rain with it? With it sitting at an angle on the roof when open is there a chance that water could make its way into the unit and/or into the tent?

1 Like

It rained here last week but no real rain. Maybe I’ll try the water sprinkler test.

I think think water will get in the way it’s designed. It’s meant to be put on boats which get a lot more water than our trucks do.

1 Like

Following for an update on this if you have any.

2 Likes

Ahhh forgot about this thread. I ended up getting a different Amazon fan and I’m supremely happy with it. Low profile, self contained battery powered by solar, and a multi directional switch. Mounted with silicone beads and when laying down can’t even hear it running.

5 Likes

Does this one also have a battery for at night?

Link?
Looks great.
Hows the air flow?

Thank you for sharing.

So far no water incursion. We’re going to get rain for 4 days next week so I’ll just pop the tent open in the driveway and monitor.

Also, the fan runs all night on the built in battery no problem. We were out in the desert this last weekend and I wanted to see how long it would run.

1 Like

Curious to see your findings. That is my only concern is when it rains and the tent is popped up that the angle of the rain coming straight down would get inside.

For sure! I’m pretty confident it will be fine. I’ve seen these on boats. But, we’ll do the full real world test next week. The cross section of the fan look like my poor hand drawing below. Even at an angle any small amount of water should pass around the opening.

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 7.58.16 AM

7 Likes

This is super helpful actually.

2 Likes

This is a great hack! I’m in shopping mode for a platform camper after selling my old LEER camper and seeing everyone’s upgrades, additions and customizations at all different levels and pricepoints are really kinda pulling me toward GFC vs some of the other options.

3 Likes

If you had any install pics/notes can you provide them? I think that would also be extremely helpful. Thanks!