Stabilizing Tacoma - Tips

The motion sickness when climbing up and rocking a bit on GFC is very real…any tips or solutions welcomed!

Is there alcohol involved? That always gets me in excess!

4 Likes

I installed heavy duty constant load 600 pound leaf springs from Ironman4x4…… nary any rocking motion at all but I also have lots of crap back there that warranted those springs

4 Likes

If the initial movement of the truck seems excessive then you probably need stronger/heavier springs.
If the rocking is persistent past the initial movement then you may have blown shocks or need firmer ones to better dampen the heavier load.

I don’t know which gen of Tacoma you have, but pretty much across the board they all have pretty weak leaf spring packs from the factory.

2 Likes

Well said and totally agree. I know on my 2016 TRD OR I was basically bottomed out on the stock suspension with minimal weight and before the GFC was installed. I installed Icon RXTs with Option 3 and the rear is much much better. I can’t imagine the feel of the truck on stock suspension with the GFC.

2 Likes

Did the same on my tacoma longbed before i got my gfc- RXT option 3, 2.5 kings with adjuster all around. Stock stuff is soft.

1 Like

Even a simple and inexpensive add-a-leaf and new Bilstein 5100s made a noticable difference over our (worn-out) stock set. We hardly notice any sway at all now.

1 Like

thanks rattle. 2020 tacoma sr5…18k miles. I’ll adventure with simple stabilizer jacks and blocks for now. updates to follow. cheers

Let us know how it goes.

Just as an example, my 1st Gen came with Deaver+AAL leaf packs (total of 9 in each pack…!) from the previous owner. They had a Wildernest camper shell on it, but I opted for a GFC to replace it. Much lighter!

got 4 stabilizer jacks and accompanying pads…problem solved. Only used 2 tested on asphalt stabilizing truck bed only…little to zero sway.

Jacks
https://www.amazon.com/X-Haibei-Stabilizers-Trailer-Aluminum-Supports/dp/B08ZLFG7K4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=rv+stabilizer+jacks&qid=1645223405&sprefix=rv+sta%2Caps%2C128&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRjFDWU5UNzhXNVJVJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjQwNTgyMTI2SEk1WDdIRkZPTiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTAyOTg4MkxNTlA1SjZHNFM5VSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Pads

I have Deaver Stage 2 springs as well as a CBI rear bumper with a swing out and the springs hold it all up great and stable. That’s with me, my wife, 70 lb dog, fridge, all our camping stuff, etc. Deaver is a little pricy but you won’t regret it.

2 Likes

I put Bilstien 5100s front and rear with 650# load capability and the OME Dakar HD leaf springs with 700# capaity in back. I get virtually no movement or sway.

Have the stage 3 Deaver setup. Also CBI swing out with full-size spare. It works very well.

1 Like