Star link mini, anyone get this yet and mount it?

Hey, just saw this on a tacomaworld post, and now im super keen on getting it! 50/ mo for the basic 50gb service and only 600 for the device is amazing. Id be willing to remove my cell signal booster and just install this if it’s as good as i hope.

Quite a few of us have been using the Mini. It works really well, has reduced power consumption, and has some new, innovative mounting solutions. Search the forum for Starlink Mini to see related threads. I’d also look at the facebook group as there are a lot of overlanders using it that have positive reviews.

Personally, I was looking at cell boosters, but having the mini mounted in my truck and being able to get a steady signal while moving made me forget about signal boosters. I do get drops in signal/buffering when driving through wooded areas due to trees and other obstacles, but I can live with that.

1 Like

This is what i wanted to hear!
Im gonna rip out my cell signal booster to install this instead.

Any recs on mounts?

Edit- found it! Thank you

2 Likes

Hey there!
I’ve been playing with a DIY option that may prove helpful:

I have a 3d model I’ve been iterating

Waiting for it to come from sendcutsend to confirm all the stuff works well in machined aluminum

Once the metal version is locked in I may make a limited run kit for folks interested or just share the files

1 Like

There are quite a few companies that have sprung up in the past couple months that offer high quality mounts.

Just a few I’ve considered:

3 Likes

Hello and thank you for your response! Id love to see a final iteration, i would possibly be in on that!

1 Like

This is amazing, thank you for the list! After perusing it i think i might actually like to try using the window mount. From savage, i think it’s a great idea for using the rear window which i have typically blocked off by a window shade. Keeps my wiring to a minimum and if it works ok thru the glass then i dont have to worry about mounting it on my roof and drilling another hole for another gland, which i have for my solar array.

Yea, inside and out of the elements, plus a single short cable from the dish to the right and all along the channel under the top floor, to my goal zero in the rear front of my bed. Easy peasy.

I would recommend looking up starlinkmini mounts on thangs or thingiverse, there are folks sharing 3d file for a lot of mounts, you can actually get 3d printing done at some ups stores, or use shapeways or a similar service if you don’t want to shell out for the aluminum mounts, especially for interior mounting

1 Like

I agree, mounting it inside the tent has been my goal, since it does work through the top of the GFC camper. Keep it out of the elements and safe from theft.

1 Like

Excellent! Then yea, I can keep the tripod and extra length cable in the bed for when one of my clients decide to rent this from me for the day i can easily remove it from the window and then mount it outside on a tripod for them, while leaving my cables in the gfc in place.

1 Like

Excited to see what you come up with!

I just sold my RTT in preparation for my install next month, so my tinkering is also on a minor pause while I wait for something sturdy to mount to and test out

1 Like

Just ordered everything so stay tuned lol, I’ll post my results.

1 Like

I had a crazy thought, you think it will work mounted to the front camper window on suction cup mount? Then I wouldn’t have to worry about my rear window staying up with an extra 4 lbs weighing on it.

Mounting the dish to the rear GFC window wouldn’t work if that panel is closed. The top of the dish needs to at a minimum be pointed straight up towards the sky. In my limited experience (having the mini for about 5 weeks), the Starlink prefers it pointed in a north-westerly orientation (~11:30 on a clock or ~340* on a compass) and with the kickstand ‘down.’
I have had success with it just placed on top of my dashboard, kickstand ‘up.’
I have mentioned on the other Starlink thread that I do plan to utilize the RoamSat mount once they are released to keep it wire-free.

2 Likes

Thank you for this info!!! I almost pulled the trigger on the suction mount but now you got me thinking i can just rest in on my dash while driving,.
Ok , just looked at the roamsat mount, wow i like it!

Edit-

Just found this mount system for 80/20. Perfect! Will be doing this to mount directly to my habitat roof rack and then I’ll drop the wire down the windshield to my wire tunnel for my rack lights, then down to the switch pro panel.

2 Likes

Went another way…. Decided I need it to be portable and all in one. My work kit is Milwaukee pack out so this made sense.

Has a 25,600 mah battery pack that runs it internally for approx 4 hours. Just enough time for most jobs, but if I need more I can always pull out the big cord and run it to another power source

1 Like