Starlink - Pros/Cons and power draw

You mean like one of these?

My peers are testing this unit right now at work. So far the feedback has been positive but they aren’t compatible with the HP dishy from my understanding.

I had the same thought about designing one for the same reasons you describe. Then my workmate showed me this!

1 Like

I was following the dishypowa guys, I hadn’t seen this one yet though. I am thinking about a larger system that manages battery charging, mppt solar harvesting, alternator and shore power input, USB phones/radios/etc and laptop charging, and also has a bunch of outputs on the back for both low power stuff like lights or higher power stuff all the way up to an external inverter. I was thinking the inside of the front wall of the GFC could be an awrsome place to stick it. Keeping it modular and extendable for the future is also key.

2 Likes

OOOOOO that sounds like a complex design.

Yeah it’s going to take some major design time. I’m using it as a learning project, if it turns into a product later, cool.

Currently waiting on my USB powered router to come in (its supposed to today) so I can finish wiring my 12v set up. Im also waiting for a medium sized Apache case to come in from Harbor Freight that I will mount this all in, which I will mount to my molle panel inside the GFC. So when I use it, i’ll just pop the case open and plug in the dish and i’ll be ready to go.

4 Likes

I’m pulling 35-40w now. I just got to test it.

2 Likes

Slept on Starlink way too long. This is an absolute game changer for working remote. Currently working in Two Medicine Glacier National Park while the GF hikes lol.

6 Likes

I got my 12v case mounted in the GFC. So when I’m ready to use it, I just pop it open, plug it in, and I’ll be powering Starlink via 12v

And I know the case looks overkill, but I have room on the lid for a bigger router if I choose to change it

4 Likes

Great work! I’m contemplating my setup right now in the same fashion. But using DishDualie, just wasn’t on funds…:smiley:

Just going to drop This here … :disguised_face:

Noooooooo. I leave for a trip on Thursday. I could have used this!

We will be in Denver on Friday :wink: Can hand deliver! @Buhlockaye

1 Like

Like @GainzGFC said, sounds like you’ll be at expo so can bring one with me if you’d like :call_me_hand:t3: I’ll be in Colorado Friday morning and expo Saturday.

I ordered a few things this week for my starlink system:

1. Prinsu habitat rack to mount starlink on
  2. A ton of white ASA filament for my 3D printer so I can chop the starlink leg off and build a cradle. I chose ASA so it won’t break down or melt in the sun.
  3. boondocker.io starlink PoE injector
  4. Ubiquity Unifi Lite WiFi router (amazon)
  5. A Victron MPPT charger that can charge my battery from 150V solar up to 35A
  6. A Victron 12V to 12V DC/DC charger rated for 30A for the alternator

Waiting on more cash to do a $2200 battery upgrade, but for now I’ll be fine with my Renogy 12V 100Ah pack. Charging was the bottleneck before.

Now to wait until October 20th for that PoE board to ship…

2 Likes

Has anyone played with a flat mount setup yet? I’m guessing it wouldn’t work very well mounted to the roof of the GFC and with the roof open?

The U6 Lite you got isn’t a router, its just an access point.
You can alternatively buy an travel router thats low power and has both routing and wifi. I use this Gl-inet mt3000

Another method you can go to using are these new yaosheng cable converter and POE injecter. Which alot of folks have found success with these and you don’t have to cut up the cable.

The 12v mod works great, it drops power usage to 20-30 watts once its connected, and 60-80 watts during bootup / finding satellites. With 100ah lifepo4 you can prob last a few days without charging up. Those victron upgrades will work out for nearly unlimited power.

Good catch! I’m moving too fast apparently. I’ll find another solution.

I think I’m going to stick with an Amazon Eero and return the ubiquiti device. Too bad, the ubiquiti was nice to look at. But the eero runs from USB-C and doesn’t need PD, so I picked up a 15W USB-C converter that runs from 12V.

Glad to see this thread is still popping off with stuff. Starlink was one of the best investments I made this year by far!

1 Like

Just pulled the trigger on one. Can’t believe I waited so long either!