Starlink - Pros/Cons and power draw

Something I wanted to add also - roam is now increasing from $150 to $165 for unlimited data on the standard dish. I might look at the mini or seeing if I can do the 50gb plan, especially come wintertime.

Edit: I did switch it to the residential plan cause I’m using it as home internet atm. Gonna see if it also works when camping.

1 Like

The bigger dishes have access to $50 - 50gb plan now and you can pause it.

I dont usually need that much data when I’m on my trips, checking emails here and there and downloading maps but the wallet hurts alot less turn on 50gb than the unlimited at $165 now.

I’ve also switched from my home built 12v → 56v / POE injector to the the new Yaosheng for the gen3 and its working perfectly - Amazon.com

Has anyone thought about mounting the starlink along the underside of the front overhang? Theres quite a bit of space on the Colorados. Also, Im curious if it will pick up reception through a flexible solar panel. My XM radio works through it.

I tested my mini on the inside of my truck bed, snug up against the large, moveable panel using the netting I typically use for my bedding catch. The mini was a bit slower when going through the roof and floor panels, but still maintained 50-60 Mbps.

I imaging placing it under the overhang would give similar results, but I’d bet the solar panel would cause interference.

1 Like

I know it has to have been covered in here already, but are there limitations on taking the larger home units on trips? Can you “roam” with the full-size one?

Nope, Residential and Roam dishes are the same thing just a different service subscription.

Obviously there are power considerations as well size.

1 Like

I almost 100% think that will not work as the dish wants a clear view of the sky