Starlink - Pros/Cons and power draw

It’s a self-contained case with its own lithium battery allowing 6-8 hrs of use without cables.

Just got my mini, thinking of just taking some metal stock I have and duplicating this:

I’ll probably stick with the 1/4-20 thread so I can also throw on camera tripods or on a ram mount (or figure a way to connect to some extrusion

I’m still waiting on some 8020, but in my initial tests (using it with multiple devices connected for about 45 min’s) it was warm, but not hot. Still, lack of ventilation has me reconsidering, lol. Don’t wan’t to deteriorate the internal components.

How long did it take for you to get your mini once you placed order?

Any way to monitor internal temp on the STARLINK app?

Less than a business week!

I placed the order on August 10 at 11PM and got it to my front door to play with yesterday, Aug 14 around noon.

I am in Orange County, CA.

Thanks for sharing. I’m thinking about pulling the trigger for the mini too but I wonder if the price will drop? I thought it was going to be around $250 but this initial price of $599 is more than I expected. How do you like it so far? Did you end up getting a usb-c to barrel jack? If so, which one did you get?

No problem!
I think I mentioned elsewhere, I initially kinda sighed at the price, but after considering all that would be required to make any other generations work on 12v/ vehicle applications I would be spending more money than the initial $599.

I did order this from amazon, should arrive on Saturday:

https://a.co/d/8n21msX

Also ordered this as it has the integrated grommets for weather sealing, won’t arrive for a few weeks.

https://a.co/d/3jrxzvd

Went with 15M to give me enough wiggle room for mounting locations, if I need to take it off the truck.

1 Like

For those interested:
IMG_1731
I mocked up a cheap mount adapter for the Mini. with some scrap plywood I had kicking around
IMG_1734
The existing holes fit 1/4-20 bolts perfectly.
I just traced and cut free hand but the holes appear to be spaced 3" on center
IMG_1733
Pan head machine screws fit in the stock hardware channels with no issue.
IMG_1732
Played with a RAM mount ball, feels great!
Could easily mount to 8020 with just the plate.
IMG_1735
Also played with mounting it to a tripod, worked perfectly.
IMG_1736

I think I’m going to use this as a project to learn more about CAD and make a plate with the threads in the metal,and use Sendcutsend or similar service to make the adapter piece.

3 Likes

I ordered mine late on a Friday, initial delivery date was pegged two weeks out, I received it Monday at noon, so less than 3 days.

Oh! I like the Ram Mount idea!

How do you plan on mounting to your vehicle while in motion?

Don’t have current plans as I don’t use it in motion.

I don’t have my GFC yet so I haven’t committed to any permanent mounts.

For now I just have a simple ram mount on the exterior of my Roofnest Condor Overland.

Starlink just released some mini accessories on the official shop.
https://shop.starlink.com

They have a permanent drill mount option

and a crossbar mount option

Also, the usb c cable is now available.

I got my Ram Mount today, overall really happy with the quick utility of it

I realize there is a generally better thread to discuss mounting here:

That being said, the mini needs about 70W for the full set up cycle, you can try lower watt plugs but it will not have enough juice for the WAP to broadcast its wireless signal.

Thank you for the heads up on the usb-c cable. Been waiting for that and recently acquainted a 6’ cable that is just not cutting it for me.

1 Like

Following!
Just found this thread after discovering the roam today while at work.
Ordering mine now, and will sub to see what mounting option come up thru the hive

1 Like

Looking at this now (Sept '24), how is it that it’s exactly the opposite? I looked today and the mini is double what the standard costs! ($300 standard; $600 mini) What am I missing?

1 Like

Probably an Elon-ism of charging early adopters.

For me the extra 300 mathed okay as:
-I want to keep my main dish stationary on the roof of my place
-Smaller Form Factor
-Lighter weight means more mount options
-Only one device to power
-Lower power consumption when off grid
-No need for 12v conversion kits
-native support for 12v /OEM option for usb-c power cord

No longer have edit access but wanted to update:

idk what exactly happened but almost over night the mini no longer had boot issues with a ny of my cables and only needs 40w peak

a bit confused but also much happier that it works in more places with more cables and less juice

1 Like