Starlink - Pros/Cons and power draw

This was this morning and after about 6-7hrs. The only two things running were 1) starlink over night and 2) my iceco 45L fridge. Used 10.5ah during that time which is barely anything.

1 Like

I saw a pretty substantial drop in draw on my eb70s, I think going from roughly 100 to 60 watts. Just back of the envelope math, even if you have super efficient (90%) inverter and DC psu you’re still looking at a minimum 19% power draw decrease.

hey sorry couldn’t find if you covered this. how did you get it to run on the C1000?

What is C1000?

Anker power station

Only used the AC on the anker. Now it’s DC and connected to my BT aux beam and 200ah of lithium.

You have me confused with someone else.

i see thanks for clarification. at 35w AC on C1000 i think it should be doable for 2 nights basecamp mode for me (with solar charging during the day)
probably no need to worry about doing the conversion lol

i did lol sorry.
post lunch food coma session going on with me now.

1 Like

FYI - switched out my Gen 2 dish for the new Mini. In addition to it drawing less power than the Gen 2, it’s much easier to setup (1 macbook-sized dish with integrated router, 1 power cord and 1 power plug) and I put it inside my GFC when it was closed and it DOES work through the GFC roof, meaning I can mount it inside my GFC.

My plan is to use some 10 series extrusion to build a mounting structure towards the back of the roof. My hest mattresses get pushed towards the front of the camper, leaving an empty space towards the tent openings, and the size of the Starlink Mini (11.75 in x 10.2 in x 1.45 in (259 mm x 259 mm x 38.5 mm) and weighs 2.43 lb (1.1 kg)) will allow it to sit perfectly when closed.

Also, not bad speeds for passing through the roof of my GFC (which is also carpeted btw) and without orienting the dish appropriately.

4 Likes

Also, I dropped down to the lower data plan - $50/50GB per month, with each GB over that at $1. It’s also able to be paused, and supports operating while driving.

2 Likes

wow, the mini sounds awesome. drawbacks??

So far, not a lot of downside. Not a ton of mounts/cases specific for the mini yet, but otherwise it’s all gucci.

1 Like

I’d say the biggest is “steep” upfront cost, nearly double what was discussed before release, still, likely the best cheapest option for a lot of applications, especially considering the cost of low profile mounts/ power supply, cable management, etc. that full dishes require

Agreed. I threw my Gen 2 up for sale and got nearly what I bought it for over a year ago, so that helped negate the cost a bit.

Interestingly, the guy I sold it to has 5 or 6 and rents them out to people who are going to Lake Powell, or other remote locations for $25 a day. Could be an easy way to make some $$ off an older model if you upgraded to the Mini.

Forgot to mention, it is possible to power the Mini via USB-C with a cable like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C6DSS97R/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2JR5SVZBKYUK9&psc=1

1 Like

I grabbed this. I’m going to set this up with stick on plates on top of the GFC for when we’re moving, then setup a pole mount for when we’re stationary.

I’m also working on an adjustable mount for the back section of the GFC roof. I’ll probably set something up with a 12-24v step up since the power run will be longer than putting it right over the truck cab.

This is intriguing. I wonder if it would work through one of those flexible solar panels? My XM radio works through them. Also wonder if theres a risk of it overheating if its sandwiched between a mattress/down blanket and the roof.

1 Like

I also received my mini Starlink dish a week ago. I’m not a fan of the AC wall outlet due to the inefficiency of having to go from DC then my AC inverter then to a DC powered accessory. Have ordered some 12v items to convert in the interim while I wait for the RoamSat mini to become available.

What’s the roamsat mini?