Starlink - Pros/Cons and power draw

Oh yea lol. You can also force the dish to point straight up/be flat now which is nice in wooded areas.

How do you do that?

wtf!
these are features available in gen 2?

Yup! They just added the flat dish feature which is pretty neat.

1 Like

sweet!
im not sure if i can do it flat with it mounted toward the rear of the tent but the manual heating off feature should save me a lot of power!

Got the 12v conversion in and situated. Quality is actually surprisingly good and had no issues getting it powered up. Seems to pull ~35w per the Anker C1000

o

1 Like

35w is really good!
when starting up is it also around 35w only?

55-60w on the anker. They claim it’s up to 30% less. Time will tell.

keep us posted.
im not really considering swapping my camper battery to a 200Ah unit one… so I can run both Starlink while powering my laptop at once.

25 watts average. 12"x10". Router built in.

1 Like

oh snap… maybe time to upgrade

Only thing I saw is up to 100mbps.

I’m curious to see some real world testing. To be fair, I have been fine as low as 15mbps but pulling near 200
In Utah was NICE.

1 Like

Testing a RoamSat V2-dish model and taking it to baja with me this weekend. I plan to power it from my inverter instead of temporarily wiring the 12v that should be mounted for a permanent install. I am only ‘renting’ this for a week. So far it’s been very very awesome having an all-in-one unit that does not meet to be plugged in 24/7. I have not charged it from my house lithium yet and have had it running for 6 hours on its internal battery. Very tempted to buy the gen 3 dish with the new reduced price.

Careful bro…once you taste starlink you never go back!

Converting mine into a flat mount might be my winter project. The 12v von

I’m definitely over the tipping point, even slightly more now that the g3 dishy price dipped. Just having to swallow that entire price tag is gonna take some heavy testing and coercing from the wife to seal the deal. I can convince myself a lot easier than the other :sweat_smile:

Starlink Mini’s data will be capped at 50G per month, then an additional cost for each gig over, which is not good for people who would use this to work remotely. But this info is also current with their offer being sent out to people to ADD the mini to their current home dish for $30 extra a month…

So HOPEFULLY they will offer an unlimited Roam plan like we use with our V2s to use with the mini once its fully released.

1 Like

every so often you can get refurbished starlink dishy kits for $399. You have to order it as residential, and then once you have it set up you can convert it to Roam.

Uploading this via starlink now…only thing running is the 12v conversion and my led strip lights inside the SP

Did you see a significant drop in power draw with the conversion? I have all the stuff to do it, but I was recently told the difference was very small. Curiosity has me!