Steens/Hart Mountain/Alvord area at the end of the month

I am heading on my first big roadtrip in the GFC at the end of the month, May 25th-30th. My first two nights are at designated campgrounds along the Oregon/California coast. 3rd night is dispersed near Mt Shasta. My 4th night has been shaken up a bit… I first planned on camping at the Alvord Hot Springs, but couldn’t get a reservation there. Then planned on camping at Hart Mountain Hot Springs, but the road is closed till June. It looks like most of Steens doesn’t thaw out till June/July as well.

Any suggestions down in that corner of the state? I will be staying near Haystack Butte north of Mt Shasta the night before and would like to have a ~5hr drive the next day, and then a ~5hr drive up to Bend OR. Open to dispersed or designated

1 Like

Snow is an issue at this time of the year. If it’s not too far, going to the Lost Coast area might be worth it. The drive between Petrolia and Ferndale (Matrole Road) is pretty awesome and a day in itself. I recommend going through the Humboldt Redwoods to loop it.

1 Like

Come visit and do some trail work at Fremont Stewardship Event #1 — Oregon Timber Trail !!

Ben

I took a look on maps and that looks good. Guess if I’m dispersed camping that night it doesn’t matter if I keep going south or east. I’ll keep looking for some places in northern CA to fill out the other day

If the playa isnt too wet, we usually just go across to the opposite side and camp on the edge.

3 Likes

What are the chances its dry? I did really want to go out that way, but its sounding like this early in the year its a gamble

There is a decent chance as Eastern Oregon is still in a severe drought. I think you can call the hot-springs and ask them, or even the store in Fields may know.

1 Like

Shout out to @heaveho for the suggestions. Modified my trip a little and am actually happier this way, I’d prefer to stick around Northern CA. Am gonna try for Mattole Campground near Petrolia, but I expect it to be full. There are a few sites around there on iOverlander and I contacted the BLM unit, they gave me some hints on where I can dispersed camp. Lots of campsites near Covington Mill/Trinity Lake, so I am just gonna pray for the best on that one.

Anything I need to see or do along this route? I have a hike planned for the Covington Mill>Bend day. Otherwise, looking for hikes, food, things to see, etc.

2 Likes

Cape Lookout is a cool little hike on the coast of Oregon, and a virtual high five when you go through Bend!

1 Like

Very possible to get sidetracked and delayed in the Redwoods area. Classic looking loop for sure!

1 Like

The playa is still sketchy. You can generally camp along the west edge this time of year but there can still be a lot of bottomless mud in the middle and eastern side.

I was planning on heading up to High Rock Canyon next weekend but word is there’s still a lot of flowing water/water crossings.

1 Like

Alvord Playa was about 50% dry a month ago, but things tend to change as the snow melts off the mountain, and late spring can actually get worse before it gets better. Just be cautious of mud, it gets really sticky! We started the weekend from the Frenchglenn side and came over the mountain on the north side, the mud was 12"+ deep in several spots up there and a we used winches several times (mostly on the heavier rigs)

1 Like