Straps for high wind

Has anyone made straps for high winds to keep the tent from over extending? If you can’t or don’t want to face into the wind?

While I haven’t been in any serious wind, I haven’t experienced the tent over-extending. Nor have I seen it mentioned by others here… It seems to me that the pneumatic struts and the resistance of the tent would be pretty strong. I did make some sleeves to help the tent resist moving up and down along the strut travel in the event of strong winds pushing on the hard roof. Others may chime in here, but, honestly, I don’t think overextension is a problem in average storm winds. Besides, if you’re in super strong winds that would threaten to overextended the camper top, you’re in significant danger for a myriad of reasons and likely should not be camping, IMO. All this says nothing about the fact that the noise from all that wind would certainly keep you from sleeping. That would be a situation for a hotel, at least in my world.

Peace.

1 Like

I haven’t seen straps but I hope this experience is helpful:

I camped last night near a lake and there was constant wind around 20MPH with gusts to 40MPH. I tried a few truck positions and nothing much changed.

@GFC706 is right. It was unsleepable (mostly because of the gusts) – and I am a super heavy sleeper. The tent seemed fine, but the truck shook/tipped and it was loud.

I ended up sleeping very well in the bed of my truck with the tent closed. Surprisingly quiet and calm in there. I will definitely be doing that again if the situation arises.

1 Like

I use a ratcheting cargo bar. I started with one on each corner but nowadays just use one side. I put it up every night regardless of the wind. It’s so much quieter and solid feeling it makes a huge difference. I set the bottom in my awning bracket and the top in the upper latch to keep it in place. I also cut off all the metal zipper pulls and replaced them with cord. It also helps to quiet it down.

Even though my solar panel weight is below the GFC recommended max the roof will sag down when it’s cold outside.

3 Likes