Suspension Musings

I have seen several threads that inquire about what suspension mods should folks consider before adding the GFC. As I have gone through many iterations on my 3rd gen base model Tacoma access cab, I figured I would offer up some of my insights in hope of helping others avoid any pitfalls. While my data is centered around the 3rd gen Tacoma I’d imagine there are some ideas that apply to other truck makes and models as well.

The first thing to keep in mind is the base weight of your rig. For example, my Tacoma is a little over 400lbs LIGHTER than the four door long bed model. The V6 adds a little over 100lbs and the four door long bed accounts for the rest. So when you are taking others advice keep in mind that your starting platform weight can vary greatly. This also comes into play with what other mods you have done that affect your sprung weight.

Additionally, even the leaf packs can be different. Within the 3rd gen Tacoma there is a light duty and heavy duty leaf pack. I believe the TRD’s all come with the heavy duty, It is an option with the SR5’s and the base models only come with the light duty.

Experience w/ Airbags
My truck started out with a Leer 160 topper on it (it weighed approximately 200lbs). When I drove with just the topper things were fine. Once I loaded in camping gear, or had a trailer hitch bike rack (Used a 2 Bike Kuat NV 2.0 at the time which weighs 50lbs) I would start to feel just how soft the factory leafs were, however, the shocks still seemed to keep up. In order to provide better support and alleviate sagging I make the jump to air bags.

Pros: Affordable (~$300 for the Firestone Ride-Right airbags), easy to revert back to stock by simply taking them off, adjustable depending on load

Cons: Rough off road ride, difficult to ensure zero leaks (a problem among all airbags unless you hook up a compressor, however that is expensive), limited articulation

The airbags served me great for a while. When I was driving on pavement the ride was fine and I was able to prevent my truck from joining the Carolina lean gang when loaded (I am still yet to exceed my GVWR except for when I moved from MT to CA). However the ride on dirt roads when over 10 mph was atrocious unless airing down and even then sometimes that wasn’t enough. This was due to the airbags having a substantially higher spring rate (unless at just 5psi) than the leaf springs and the factory shocks were unable to keep up. I never ran anything other than factory shocks with the airbags, however based on what I know it seems like this would be incredibly difficult to overcome.

I never tried running cradles as I needed the support of the air bags with even just the base weight of my truck day to day (GFC and bike rack). While they would solve the articulation issue, there would be no change in ride comfort.

In short, if you need a little extra support, don’t want to spend a ton, and don’t venture too far on rough roads this is a great option.

Airbags Installed, yes they do look offset, however there are supports that are just hard to see from this angle.

Add a Leaf
Approximately a year ago, as I was waiting for my back ordered leaf pack to arrive, I was really wanting to get rid of the airbags because of the reasons listed above. Since my leaf pack was a ways out I found the Icon add a leaf in stock and decided to give it a try, with the thought of maybe cancelling my full replacement pack order.

Icon advertises their AAL to give a tacoma a 1.5" lift in the rear (Based on a double cab long bed). I figured with the weigh difference than that might be enough (forgot to account for the DCLB having the heavy duty leaf pack from the factory). I also paired the AAL with Fox Performance 2.0 w/ Remote Reservoirs, and the Timbren Active Off Road Bump Stops (Needed to replace bumps anyway as they are the one thing that is cut when installing the airbags). The AAL brought the rear of my truck w/in 1/4" of level when running just the GFC, bed platform, and bike rack.

I found the change to be a world of difference in terms of ride quality from the airbags. However I found myself frequently running on the bumps with even the littlest of extra load (The Timbrens are fantastic and highly recommended for smoothing out the bottom stoke of the leafs).

For the cost of $250 I would recommend the AAL if you are running just the GFC and don’t mind a bit of sag while out adventuring. (my sag references also include me running 1" of lift on the front suspension, more below).

The Fox shocks also were a dramatic improvement over stock and I highly recommend them. I purchased through Accutune Offroad (Free custom valving) and would recommend that as well and they ensure that you will be getting the best performance out of your shocks rather than just any other generic valving. After going down the rabbit hole of shocks I had eliminated Ironman 4x4, Bilstein, and Icon due to minimal if any valving adjustments.

I may have lost you at valving, but after digging past fanboy postings, etc. The valving of your shocks is the number one determination in how your suspension feels, and to be able to go with something that can fit how I use my truck and the weight of it is well worth it, especially when it is included for free by purchasing through Accutune.

Dirty install of AAL, Timbren’s, and Fox 2.0’s

Full Leaf Pack Replacement
Since the AAL didn’t quite meet my needs I kept my order in for Icon’s RXT Leaf pack. With how variable weights are between trucks I liked the idea of being able to adjust the leaf pack myself after being able to see how my truck rode.

I went into the purchase thinking that I would have to be running the stiffest setting as when I am pushing my truck the hardest is when I am camping and am loaded with my partner, dogs, bikes, camping gear, etc. Then I noticed that the Icon measurements for lift, ride, height when loaded, etc. were based on the double cab long bed (weighs 400lbs more than my truck before anything is added to them). I ended up just mounting the leaf pack in the factory set up (which is also the softest) and I have found that when I am daily driving I have about 1" of rake (1" lift over stock) and when I am fully loaded for camping/adventuring (roughly 700 additional lbs) I sit level.

While this is the most expensive option (~$1,200 for leaf pack and shocks) It is substantially better than any other option. Since that change we rarely air down now unless we are going to be going through anything really rocky and the ride is so dramatically better the comparison is difficult to make.

I hope that I am able to at least help someone find information to dial in their ride in preparation for getting their camper and thank you for hanging in there.

For those that are interested I have included my front journey below. I spent the first bit of my time with my Tacoma with everything factory and while I wasn’t blown away, it handled things much better than the rear. Hence, why I did the reverse of many and spent my initial time and funds on the rear and then worked my way forward.

Forgot to take a photo, looks similar to the AAL, however the pack is much more robust.

Front Leveling Kit
I always knew that I wanted to raise the front of the truck a bit, 1st to get a slightly better approach angle, second I will eventually be moving to 33’s. I am currently on 265/75r16. After I had the air bags on for roughly 6 months I added Rough Country leveling kit. This is just a spacer that you place on top of your factory strut.

It achieved my goal of a little more ground clearance for the front and a better approach angle with a negligible change in ride quality. It was after I got the rear dialed with the RXT leaf pack and Fox shocks that I noticed that the front suspension was not a smooth as I thought.

Front Coilovers and UCA’s
As the final part in my suspension journey I ended up going with Fox Performance 2.5’s w/ Remote Reservoirs purchased through Accutune Offroad. I ended up going with the extended travel option to allow myself more droop travel and that has been a game changer in terms of traction since I don’t have lockers. The increased articulation brought about with the extended travel and getting rid of the spacer has allowed me to crawl through things with ease that used to be somewhat tricky. Because of the increase in droop an aftermarket UCA was required to clear the shock.

While I have heard the factory tuning of Fox shocks is sub par, the way that Fox constructs these shocks allows for greater adjustment than similar Kings (Link). (I haven’t found any information on the revalving of Icon, OME, Ironman, or Bilstein) As I said before being able to have shocks is almost impossible to place a value on for getting your truck to perform the way you’d like it to.

I am less informed about UCA’s and the various options. I have the Dirt King tubular UCA’s w/ poly bushings and a ball joint. No complaints there. They installed really well and seems to be working great.

The ride difference of these on the road was difficult to feel. However, the second I passed my first pavement ends sign the difference was out of this world. The truck just sits and goes. It is completely smooth and planted with amazing control. Once again I cannot recommend this setup more.

Rough Country Spacer

Dirt King UCA w/ Fox 2.5 Coilover

A note about remote reservoirs on shocks. I used to think they were only for cooling. Through this process I learned that the floating piston is moved from the body of the shock to the reservoir (Link). This allows more room for both oil and nitrogen. By having more room for the nitrogen you run a lower nitrogen pressure which places less stress on the seals of the shock and allows for smoother movement. Also, because of the increased oil volume the tuning of the valving can be more refined for a better ride. I was initially going to avoid going with the reservoirs, however I am grateful that I did. I didn’t go for external adjustments as I am a set it and forget it (same with my bikes) however if you like to tinker it sounds like a great option a well.

While my two links are from Accutune’s website they match information I have found elsewhere and their analysis is straight forward and succinct.

Mostly Level Parking lot Just GFC and Bike Rack (+1" over stock Front, +1"
over stock rear)

Front Suspension Detail

Loaded for a trip as it sits now.

9 Likes

Great info and you are spot on in my opinion. The difference if a quality complete suspension setup is amazing.

4 Likes

Has anyone tried Falcon adjustable shocks? They have integrated remote reservoirs. Van Compass offers them for their Sprinter suspension packages…I believe the valves can be tuned. IMO somewhat better built than Fox.

1 Like

I’d be interesting to hear as well. Their quick adjust system looks pretty simple and quick (Better than counting clicks). As far as valving goes the piggyback option for some vehicle applications could lend itself to valving. Some vehicles they only offer mono-tube fronts and those might be a different story as I hear mono-tubes can be difficult to dial in/not tune-able.

One other caveat is that they follow a digressive valving and that profile tends to struggle with washboard and other small gravel so, probably better for vans (slower speeds) and crawlers? I tend to gravitate more toward liner as I hit a little of everything.

Their product does look super polished and dialed, also based out of UT doesn’t hurt either.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, it really is amazing how big of a difference it makes. Between tires and proper valving you can solve a lot of issues.

Not sure if it applies to these specifically, but they are part of Teraflex which is known in the Jeep world to be pretty low quality china made products. Again I have no first hand experience with Falcons, but have experienced Teraflex failures and poor quality myself.

Check out digressive vs progressive shock tuning. I believe Icon is one of the few, if not the only company that makes their suspension this way. Accutune blog actually has some really nice writeups that explain how tuning a shock works also.

In basic terms, the harder and faster you drive with Icon, the softer they feel in the cab.

King/Fox/ADS, etc are progressive. Softer at first, and firmer as you drive harder. There are many people that buy these brands just for the name or the “street cred” and then dont do hard driving. So they seem to think that these are “better”. Maybe better for slow speed comfort and daily drivability. (dare I say mall crawlers)

Im also not saying any of the suspension brands are bad or any are the best. Just need to sit down and think about how you drive, how youre going to use the truck, and also what fits your budget.

Ive had OME, Icon, and now King. All serve a purpose. Yes all do the same thing, but depends on the above. If youre like me, I like to say buy 5 times, cry 8 times :sweat_smile:

I am getting ready to pull most of the valving in my Kings to add an external tunable bypass shock. I drive pretty slow/conservatively, but since my truck isnt really my daily driver and theres not much left that I want to do to it, might as well right?

2 Likes

Amazing write up! You are spot on, I’m still in phase 1 of your description but on a 1/2ton with firestone bags, and levelling spacer in the front. Just yesterday I was looking for exactly what you’re describing. Better ride off-road at speeds than the bags and was looking at the Icon 1” coil and just the standard rear shock w/ no external reservoir.

Mainly from a cost perspective. I have recently noticed more and more bounce in the rear end since getting the camper and loading it up for winter backroads journeys. So I think the 8 years on the stock shocks in the rear are finally starting to take their toll. My mod policy is generally on a, ‘well it’s worn out’ policy….that’s what I tell my wife anyways.

:joy:

1 Like

Here’s a vid that compares Falcon to Fox. Granted, this is from a company specializing in off road solutions for Sprinter 4x4s and may not be applicable to other vehicles. Check it out. Van Compass Falcon Vs. Fox Shocks - YouTube

Me too! For the $$ it seemed like the best option - my suspension ‘guy’ told me the same - and informed me that even with access to any and all goodies - that’s what he runs on his rig.

The handling on and off road is night and day from stock. I couldn’t believe the difference.

Make sure you have the newer rear springs (they changed them about a year or two ago) or they will squeak. Not just chirping - squeaking that will give you a headache.

Excellent write up. Sent you a message.