Suspension question- need advice!

Hey y’all!

I’m in need of some advice. I’m a novice in regards to suspension. I just got my GFC installed and am looking to upgrade my suspension. I have decided on 3 options and was curious your opinions. I have a 23 DCSB Tacoma Sport.

1. add-a leaf
  2. TRD Lift kit
  3. Dobinsons twin turbo suspension kit, GS59-221 struts, 302 coil springs, 111R leaf springs, GS59-840 rear shocks, leaf springs bushing kit and drive shaft spacer kit-- This a quote from a local shop

Some good discussion here:

You probably don’t need to run a driveshaft spacer unless you are lifting it and need to correct driveshaft angles. I’d install the suspension first and then see if the spacer is needed.

I’d recommend replacing the leaf pack as a long term solution but if you don’t want to go that route at this time a progressive AAL would be a good second option. Bump stops are important too. Replacing the factory bumps with something that has a more progressive feel (superbumps, timbren, Perry parts bumps, or a similar option).

FWIW, I’ve been running a Dakar leaf pack (equivalent to their newer HD pack) and Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks in the rear of my Tacoma for almost 10 years now and have been happy with the setup (I added superbumps in 2021 and wish I did it sooner). If I were to rebuild the rear suspension I’d likely look into archive garage leaf packs and their hammer hangers to pair with the fox shocks and aftermarket bump stops. I’m not running a driveshaft spacer or axle shims on my setup.

1 Like

don’t do add-a-leaf. it’s gonna make noise later.
every single one we’ve done add-a-leaf because the customer wants to save some $$ all end up making noise and customers end up replacing the leaf spring.

1 Like

Icon RXT or Archive Garage leafs with hammer hanger and shackle setup.

1 Like

I put the TRD lift kit on my Taco Off Road. Depending upon the weight you have in the back, Deaver Expedition Leafs, I have a steel bumper with swing outs that add 392 lbs plus the GFC so I went with Stage IIIs but if you only have only the GFC, I would go with Stage IIs. And since I put a winch in the front with a steel bumper, I went with Dobinsons 2-Inch Front Lift Coil Springs; 220-300 lb. Load (05-23 4WD Tacoma). This is a killer set up…

I’d stay clear of the add a leaf since you have the GFC. I would go with ICON RXT

If you have a feel for your daily driver load and your weekend off-road fun load, I suggest reaching out to Jeff at DeaverSpring. He took my 20 TRD Pro OEM leafs and set me up with a pretty solid build. Daily driver is around 550 lb in/on the bed (1/2” rake) and backroads mode is 750 ish. Some of the xtra weight is in the backseat (full disclosure).

I agree with those who recommend the Icon RXT leaf pack. They are an economical way to get a quality suspension upgrade. I installed a set last year (2017 Tacoma DCSB Offroad 4x4) and I have been very happy with them.

Prior to adding the RXT’s, I had the stock leaf packs with an Icon progressive AAL, Sumo Springs, and Bilstein 5100’s. The ride was rough because the weight caused the frame to rest on the Sumo Springs. As a result, every bump was transferred through the frame and to the driver.

Depending upon the amount of weight you carry, there are 3 setup options. Since I carry a lot of weight, I chose option 3 (600+ lbs).
IMG_4601

Even after I took my SuperLite off, the ride is still very comfortable. However, without the extra weight, there’s a significant amount of rake.

Another thing you should know is that, with option 3 (and possibly 2), you should install extended brake lines and extended travel shocks.

You can find more information on Tacomas and after-market suspension upgrades on Tacomaworld. There’s a lot of threads on Deavers, Dakars, and RXT’s.

1 Like

I recently did the Dobinsons lift you are talking about with the 111R leaf pack. It is great so far and sits level with 700lbs in the back. It has an obvious rake when 400lbs are in the back, but it looks a lot better than when it was sagging.

1 Like

Yea I got 111R also fully loaded for trips it’s perfect when it’s unloaded it has some rake but that’s okay.

1 Like