Suspension upgrades?

I spent a lot of time considering the same things you are, and ultimately went with ride rite airbags and daystar cradles. I didn’t want a permanent lift, because it would effect getting into my garage, and I also use my taco as a daily commuter so don’t have it weighed down all the time. The GFC dropped my MPG’s by 2ish depending on factors, so I’m also trying to keep the truck as light as possible. If I were to add a heavy grill/bumper, sliders, skids, etc. then I might more heavily consider upgrading the whole suspension. As it stands, my desire to keep the truck light, but capable means the airbags work perfectly for me. Consider what you’ll primarily be using the truck for and decide from there.

Yeah. Thanks for the feedback. I will be mostly unloaded. Installing my rock sliders today. Doing some careful documentation of before & after sag measurements F&R. l’ll do the same after my GFC install. If need to get new rear leafs, I may be able to go with the deaver stage I or an AAL. I’m also considering an airbag setup. I’m committed to staying at stock height or a little higher. It all hinges on my loaded weight with my GFC. I hope I’m getting close to being able to pick mine up.

Peace.

After worrying about it too much - I went with the OME kit. We used the heavy duty springs and left the front springs stock. Of course, the OME shocks all the way around.

With the GFC and my 1/2 bed drawer I was really sagging and hit the bottom regularly.

Now it rides like a dream. I can’t believe the difference and can’t recommend this enough. It’s shocking the difference from stock. I don’t know why Toyota’s stock set up isn’t similar to this.

For reference, I’m on stock rims and went up to 265/70/17 KO2’s.

3 Likes

At the recommendation of others here and after much thought I recently upgraded to the Deaver U402 stage II. I also got timbren off road bump stops. High quality product!
This truck is my daily driver and I use it for everything. Most of the time my bed is empty or I have a bike rack on it. Ride quality on and off road with empty bed is great. No complaints. I can hit speed bumps faster now too. If I am to be critical you can feel the difference between unloaded and loaded but it’s nothing to worry about. I was going back and forth debating whether stage II was too much or too less but for now it’s just right. After having an ad-a-leaf I find that inadequate and do not recommend.
I decided to load the truck bed extra heavy and the ride was still great. Truck pictured below has approximately 780 lb on the bed which includes the GFC. Handles on and off road just fine. I highly recommend deaver springs.
A bonus to this new Leaf pack is I got a little more height which is great for off-roading and helps my rakattach swing arm not drag.

9 Likes

Hey all…I know that this post is a little bit late to the party but I picked up my 2021 Tundra last week. I am build #1308 which is slated to begin around March. I’m playing the long game as I plan on driving this truck into the trashcan and giving it to my grandkids 30 years from now. Its my first “real” truck. I have a wife and two kids (6 and 4) and we’re going to use the Tundra for everything good in the Western US (hunting/fishing/backpacking/exploring etc.). I have a few questions to pose to you all. 1) We’re not going to have a crazy build out but rather likely a cooler, odds/ends, stove etc. as the kids will sleep in the bed. I’d love to upgrade to the Old Man Emu BP-51 suspension kit and potentially some deaver leaf springs. What leaf springs do you all recommend for this setup? As mentioned, we’re not going to be crazy heavy but I would love comfort/good ride. I occasionally tow a PWC/sled etc. for surf/dive trips to mexico but that’s about as big of a trailer I plan on pulling. Would love to run the new Method 703s and some K02s on the truck as well but want to do the suspension/lift first. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am super new to this. Thanks in advance

Here’s what I’m running.

I had pretty good squat with full camp setup With week supplies, fridge, Rigd hitch/spare, camp kitchen setup, Paddleboards, etc. I added OME add-a-leaf to Dakar and I’m happy with it now

I’m running an OME dakar medium duty leaf pack mated to OME rear shocks. In front I’ve got bilstein 5100s set to notch 4. Comfortable ride and handles the camper and my camping load quite well. Nearly stock with the Toyota front coils and UCAs. Ended up level with about a 1.25" lift overall when unloaded. There’s probably a bit of squat when loaded, but I pack light. I still have the option of AAL to the dakar pack if it fatigues…

Good luck & welcome to the family.

Peace.

Don’t know if the above will work, but here’s my build…

Going out for a quick trip this weekend. Going to try to get some pics of the rig loaded. If I do I’ll post them under my build thread.

Deaver is the way to go. I have a tacoma and really like them but I have a friend with a newer tundra and he got deaver as well. I think this is it here.

Hi Everyone - any GoFast set-ups with an ARB 2" lift kit (light load springs in the front, medium load rear springs) out there? I’ve got a 2020 TRD 4x4 SBEC and pick up my GoFast v2 next week. I’ve got a quote for this ARB set-up locally and didn’t see much if any discussion on ARB Kits.

Do tell?

I replaced the rear leaf springs on my 2020 ZR2 Bison with OME HD leaf springs. I currently have the Decked system in the rear and should have my GFC V2 in March. The current ride is already better than before and the springs gave me an additional 1-1/2" before adding the GFC and camping gear. The springs are rated to 660lbs and they ride like a dream. Hope that helps.

M

1 Like

Thx @Bison_GFC. Wow, you’ve got a nice set up (Bison + OME HD + Decked + GFC).

Thank you! I’m loving it. Here’s a pic. Just waiting on the GFC now!

Hey Danny, just like you this is my first “real” truck. I bought a 2017 Tacoma with OME hd leaf springs and Bp-51 shocks with reservoirs.BP-51 coil overs in the front. My only complaint is the squeak from the leaf springs is driving me crazy! Hard to sneak up on the wildlife. I also plan on driving this thing forever and passing down to the kids (8 and 6). My 25 year old gets the SUV with 250,000 miles on it! All around I am very happy with the ride. The 4.88 ARB gears really help with the 285 KO2 tires. I still find that I have to use 4low on just about anything steep. image|375x500
Her name is Elsa :joy:

My OME’s squeak like crazy. But OME is replacing them under a warranty program. I’m not sure if you qualify but it’s worth checking out. Other than the insane squeak I like them.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I am the second owner and the truck is three years old. I will contact the install shop for sure to ask.
Good looking out,
Cheers

I’m not all that stoked on the OME heavy duty set up I have on my Tacoma. The fronts are fine, but the rear leafs are pretty much flat when my truck ( 2017 DCLB TRD OR ) is unloaded. As in no arch, after only a year and a half. When I load my camping gear the damn things are in a w shape and bottom out way more than they should even under pretty mellow off-road conditions. Now I got some 'splainin to do to my wife why I need to pony up another grand plus to get it right with maybe some Deavers?

1 Like

Your setup is great. I’m a we kayakers and mt biker so your truck is just how I’m going to use mine. Anything you would different with the GFC and kayaking

1 Like

Thinking of getting a pair of Deaver springs on my Tacoma. Looking at the Stage II springs. Spoke with the shop in Santa Ana, great customer service and reasonably priced. Self admittedly I don’t know much about suspension, but this forum has a lot of good things to say about the product. Just curious, when getting new springs, do you also need to upgrade the front suspension as well? I’m
assuming that when the leaf package raises the truck 2” I’ll have noticeable rake, or will that level
out with the camper weight? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I am doing this to my tundra and going through the exact same process. Best of luck

1 Like