Swing Outs on a Rear Bumper

Howdy…long time listener, first time caller.

For those of y’all who have an aftermarket bumper/accessory that is a swing out (whether single or dual)…how have y’all found that to impact the ergonomics around the use and/or functionality of the tailgate area? E.g. bang your knee into one swing out or the other when walking around the vehicle? The added nuisance of having to unlatch additional locking mechanisms, etc.

Context - I’m rolling in a Ford SuperDuty and am looking at options for additional fuel storage. One of those options is an aftermarket bumper that supports multiple Rotopax cans (or similar). I enjoy the ease of access to get into the bed area - lift a few latches (GFC + tail gate) and it’s open. However, I’m not too keen on storing a fuel container inside the bed or cab. The truck is already large so I figure a few more inches in overall length isn’t that big of a deal.

The truck is a 2013 model and I have not had much success in finding a roof rack for the cab as an alternative so if any of y’all have a recommendation on that front I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

I have a CBI dual swing on my Tacoma. I purchased it for 2 reasons. I needed a place for a spare that wasn’t inside the camper and the added benefits of fuel storage as you mentioned. I can carry 2x 3gal Rotopax on one side. (There was an option for a gas can rack for the scepter/USGI style cans too)
The swing out came with the option of fold down tables which was a plus for me as I use it for more cooking/prep space compared to just the tailgate and I can also mount a hi-lift on it also. The downside is that I have to open the swing outs to open the rear camper door so if there is something you need access to that isn’t possible from the side then you have to swing out the arm(s).
For my personal use/experience, I have more pros than cons regarding my swing out bumper.
There are many different brands/styles out there so if you go that route do some research and try to find them in person to get a better idea than blindly choosing one from online photos (like I did).

When I installed my bumper with a swingout I thought I’d pull the swingout off occasionally for easier bed access since it’s just a single bolt but it’s been 6 or so years now and I haven’t bothered. Probably not as big of a deal on a full-size but I have to use a trailer or the rack more often now since I can’t just leave the tailgate down for larger items.

The extra step getting into the bed in generally not a big deal. Occasionally I have to pull forward to open up the back if someone parks close. On the plus side, if I back up close to something my swingout prevents opening the rear hatch or tailgate so the bed is a bit more secure.

I only run a spare, no fuel or other accessories attached back there. I wouldn’t have made the purchase just for fuel storage…I was looking for an option to carry a second spare.

The fuel goes in the bed and I take it out when we set up camp. Look up Wavian fuel cans…I carry 10 gallons in my bed pretty regularly when we are heading out and haven’t had issues with leaks or fumes. Check out this testing video (the last 1/3 is the fire test): https://youtu.be/xG6x_BoGqNY

You raise a good point about positioning those items that I need quick access to along the sides of the bed. Thanks!

Quite the test, thanks for sharing the Wavian idea!

I have a RiG’d hitch mount swing arm on my Tacoma. With the addition of the Rago Fabrication Pax mount accessory, I am able to add the following items: 24" x 19" x 15" aluminum box, 5 gal Jerry Can, 11 lb LPG tank, shovel and traction boards.

PROs: Removable when not needed; provides extra space inside of the truck bed; keeps the flammables out of the bed; allows easy hookup to my slide out stove.

CONs: Total weight with all of the accessories + fuels (empty box) is 225 lbs; have to relocate the rearview camera and license plate; extra space required behind and to the side of the truck in order to lower the tailgate; extra length means your vehicle will stick out farther in a parking lot; gas tank is more vulnerable, if rear-ended; departure angle may be affected; cost of a high-quality overlanding swing arm (e.g., Dirtcom, RiG’d, Wilco) is expensive.

As stickyTaco said, it’s not a big deal to open the swing arm before lowering the tailgate. Figure out what factors are the most important to you, then decide if a swing arm is right for you.

IMG_1054

IMG_1124
IMG_1755

1 Like

Damn you got a whole microwave in the back LOL!?!?! Do you only power off shore power?

It’s small, only 600w. I have a solar setup with a DC.to DC charger to keep my 100 ah LiFePO4 battery happy. The main draws off of the battery are the fridge and the 1500 watts inverter. So, depending where I’m staying, I can run it off of shore or battery power.

I only cook for myself, so it’s more convenient to heat up ready-made meals for dinner. Plus, it takes up less room in the fridge and I use less water cleaning up. Win-win!

IMG_8054
IMG_8052
IMG_6844

1 Like