T-nut dimensions above Beef Racks

Looking for the height and diameter of t-nuts when installed in beef racks. I assume (you know what that means) that they stick out above the slot and when mounting to the racks you need to account for this.

Mine are a hair below flush with the beef rack top. The second pic is me pulling up on the tnut to simulate it being bolted up. Is this what you were asking?

If you want the height of the threaded stud this is what I have.

Thanks Josh! Not exactly what I was looking for, but I think it answered my question. You are showing track studs, which appear to be the male version of t-nuts. I had assumed that part of the base would stick up up above the flush mount of the beef bar, but it appears it does not.

Ultimately, I am trying to mount my rod vault on the beef bars by running a bolt from through the top of the rod vault bracket, down to the t-nut in the beef bar.

Should be as simple as:

1. drill a hole through rod vault bracket

2. insert t-nut into beef rack

3. secure bolt through rod vault bracket from top, screwing into t-nut

Is this the pic you are looking for?

A regular t nut does stick out

1 Like

Arent there 2 types of t nuts? 1/4-20 thread which will stick out, and 10-32 which will not?

1 Like

I saw those two options but I don’t know anything about two different overall dimensions. I assumed it was just different threads but I have only bought the 1/4 20 ones.

Yeah the 10-32s are a lower profile. At least the gzila ones. Not 100% sure in the gfc ones but I think gzila copied what gfc did. Good comparison pic here. https://www.gzila.com/collections/go-fast-camper

1 Like

You’re right, the 1/4-20 tnuts stick out proud of the surface of the extrusion/beef bar as in @Herrmann552 photo above while the 10-32 have less thread depth and sit fully within the extrusion.

I just realized this while trying to mount a d-ring with a 1/4-20 tnut last night. I’m going to need a washer to cover the tnut and put pressure against the extrusion for a firm mount.

I ordered this to do exactly what you said and space out my accessories so the tnut would actually pull against the railing and tighten. I used the biggest washer size in the kit then filed the interior size bigger by a slight amount so it would fit over the tnut.

Sutemribor Nylon Flat Washer Assortment Set 600 Pieces, 9 Sizes - M2 M2.5 M3 M4 M5 M6 M8 M10 M12, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQTTXSY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7Z08YX8PDMJGJYNTDW46?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Awesome guys, exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! Next question… how much distance between the flat surface of the beef bar and the groove? I am trying to figure out how much room/how long a bolt I need.

My “prototype” is complete. I drilled a hole through the top half of the Rod Vault mounting bracket. This allows a 3" 1/4x20 stainless bolt (with stainless washer and rubber washer) to pass from the top, and screw into the t-nut in the beef rack:

The nut on the following picture simulates the t-nut:

All this for a cleaner install than this:

3 Likes

Nice! That is super clean and looks great!