T Nuts - Anti theft

Anyone know of any theft proof nuts for the T Bolts? I am getting a Yakima Rod Hauler and was wondering if I could at least deter someone with a hex key set from yoinking it off…
Thx.

McMaster has security bolts that I’ve used with GFC’s t-nuts. I’ve also done the budget way and superglued a ball bearing into the bolt recess.

2 Likes

I have just taken a drill and rounded out the allen holes so the Allen key would no longer work. You just gotta be sure you want to leave stuff where you put it.

Peace.

like @joserheo said mcmaster has a ton of anti-theft nuts and bolts.

Something like this should work:

I’m going to add this to the BOM list for our Lockable Draw Latch Brackets: Products - 4WD-Mod.com.

Those security screws can give you a false sense of security. A lowlife thief can buy a set of 33 bits that contains all of the common security bits for $6 at HF.

1 Like

Thanks for all of this. I am thinking (and maybe I’m wrong) that this is more of a Portland or Oakland scenario and less likely guys will be hunting around the back roads of North Carolina with this…I will consult my insurance agent and see what’s covered…a bit of convenience having rods ready to go vs. a major loss if yoinked…

Matty

1 Like

What are people’s thoughts on red Loctite for security? That would need a blowtorch to loosen. I suppose you (or a thief) could drill out the bolts if it needed moving in the future.