Tacoma Bed Drawers

Hey all, made a bed drawer system for Charlie Harrison and his 2018 Tacoma double cab. Here’s a DIY build video. Posting on the FB group too, sorry if you see it the post double.
-Prospect Overland (Tyler)

14 Likes

So cool! Thanks for sharing!

Actually going to be somewhat replicating this this weekend. Did you mount the baseplate at all?

When you say “baseplate”; are you referring to this drawer system not actually being secured to anything? It seems maybe some cutouts to access the bed bolts with a custom bracket for securing this would make for a safer build.

I can’t find the right size yet; but something like this recessed washer : https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1?q=tinnerman+washer&prds=epd:11789997527448222585,eto:11789997527448222585_0,pid:11789997527448222585&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiErfOVhMOGAxVUGzQIHVsYDJIQ9pwGCAU

if the spacing could 1.) accommodate the thickness of the wood 2.) the ID hole big enough to accommodate the bed bolts. 3.) The outer flange of the washer have enough overlap over the plywood.

The you could replace the existing bed bolt washer.

Still looking…

I went ahead and made some pre-cuts in anticipation of finding a bracket or washer. Just showing here to clarify (and pay it forward)…Really appreciate all the feedback I’ve gotten here!

I went landscape with the plywood since I’m not doing a drawer- just anchor points for a storage bench, battery. fridge, etc. and keep all that weight as far forward in the bed as possible.

The landscape orientation might assist in retaining all that weight by leveraging the play wood flares against the wheel wells AND I could be totally wrong! Haha!

1 Like

Just a heads up, I used 3 bed bolts to attach the plywood base to my bed (2 middle, 1 front/passenger) as those bolts had plenty of thread with using 3/4” wood. I could have used a 4th (front/driver) but it was unnecessary with the load/weight. I did find that I lost about 5/8” of space NOT recessing the bed bolt and washer (both are essentially fixed together). So if you plan to build a drawer over a bed bolt, you need that clearance between the base and drawer “bottom.” Is 5/8” much room? Not really , but could make a difference to some wanting to maximize their space/drawer depth (or height?).

Thank you. I hadn’t considered that the bolt washers are fixed.

I just finished my drawer, took some inspiration from this video for sure. Very happy with how it came out. I also used the bed bolts to secure my bottom panel.

![IMG_6522|1080x810](upload://vDodEanQ3O86n5nB0BJ6qE6RyjO

.jpeg)

3 Likes