Tailgate Ladder? -How do you get into your GFC?

Yes I have thought about that as well. I have inquired at local wrap shops about that already. It’s not as easy or cheap as you think it would be. Plus I’m not going to sell off my V1 that matches already and buy a V2 that I have to take it somewhere to have it wrapped and have them take apart the panels. The downside about having it wrapped is the panels would have to be taken apart for a good thorough wrap. The wrap shops around here told me the trouble spots for having the panels wrapped is where the hinge and the panel connect. They said unless they were able to take it apart they cannot warrantee the wrap and would probably start to peel and 4 to 5 months.

the wrap place in Bozeman who GFC recommended and told me did wraps for their customers told me that they wanted the doors left on. I told them I could pull them because I have the legacy hinges. The local shop told me the same thing. I guess I just have to wait for the estimates. What kind of quotes did you get?

regardless I would not trade for a V2 straight up anyway as I love the frame of the V1

1 Like

GFC has stated that they want to be a mass produced product. Their words not mine. Adding just a single custom a week adds time to the production. Every color in the paint shop(or powder coat) needs to be setup every time it is sprayed. Also factor the man hours it takes interacting with the customer to get right custom color. AND don’t forget they have been short handed because of this excuse or that excuse. You can’t have an inexpensive mass produced product with tons of choices. Maybe in time when production speed meets orders, they might start offering more choices. obviously you have never worked production or customer service before

Oh I have done both sir. I’m in the steel erection business now… I totally get it and understand their stance on it from a business point of view. They want to keep it all in house and pop them out faster. That is if GFC is doing their own powder coating now. As there is only 30 or so GFC’s with a custom option out of the 1000 V1’s that were made. It’s no longer a option because there’s not a large demand for it and most people are not willing to pay the extra money for a custom option. Which they found from the V1’s GFC’s words. When it comes to powder coating it is sent out unless they have changed that and are doing it in house. The only thing GFC had to deal with as far as custom options when i chose it was me giving them the powder coat number I chose when paying for my invoice in full that was it. There was not hours of debating or back-and-forth. It was an extra option in the last email they sent me asking if I wanted to their Angus Beef package and if choosing custom color option what was the color code I chose.Prizmatic was the company that was doing the custom coating and that’s who sent you The color samples for a custom option not GFC. I recall when going through the custom option GFC clearly stated make sure to get a color sample from prizmatic and once color was picked and chosen that was your color and there would be no refund if you were unhappy with the color. With that being stated from GFC and those I know that have a custom option have not been unhappy or complained about it. Those that know when you have a custom color powder coat or any kind of custom color something it’s not gonna be the exact color it’s gonna be close but not exact. I’m not trying to debate or argue with you buddy. I have gotten a chance to see the V2 and most of my pet peas with the V1 have been fixed with the V2. I’m just saying I wish they would bring this option back for the panel for those that are willing to pay and wait that want to purchase a V2. And thank you for your input and I hope I have not offended you.

not offended just hoping you could see their stance. i wish for a camo pattern but you get what you get when you deal with the lowest price. I hope they can get everything dialed in with 4 week lead time and hell of a lot better customer service. 427 days from deposit to install with a knee in the balls on my way back to end of the line kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth but it is a good design on the V2.

can we get back to steps and ladders for getting the bed?

I use a polisport motorcycle folding stand. Hangs in camper when not in use. Doubles as motorcycle stand for maintenance work.

curious what kind of quote you got? I got the first one either of the designs I posted above which include both sides and back so curious how the they compared to your quotes. thanks

Returning this thread to the original topic…

I ended up taking your suggestion and picking up the foldable gorilla step.

I like that it is quite wide making it perfect to sit under the tailgate. It will be great for using as a bench to put ski boots on during winter. It is also the perfect height to hold our Coleman stove while we cook from our camp stove away from the camper in bear country.

4 Likes

What’s the height? Looking at Home Depot website and it shows several heights and that one looks perfect. Thanks.

It is the 20" high Gorilla Ladder and currently on sale at Home Depot for $49.

Whoa. That’s a great deal, too. Thank you.

I usually have a little step ladder, cooler, or the diesel heater. On the weekend I thought ‘why not use the gfc ladder?’

It works perfectly :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like