Tarp "Awning"

Finally tested my super simple tarp awning. I used Lumbering Bear alien extrusion hangers with small carabiners. The LB hangers are great. They are easy to twist in and sturdy. For my awning, I just have to twist the LB hangers onto the extrusion and set up the poles with the guy lines. Pretty easy. It stood up to three days of light rain and light winds without any problems.

The tarp is heavy duty 6’x8’. The guy lines, stakes, small carabiners, and LB hangers can be rolled up in the tarp.

Hope this is helpful to those wanting a simple awning that’s pretty easy to set up and rolls up smaller than a shoebox.

Peace.

20 Likes

I did the same kind of thing with mine. Works really well for a cheap, simple, and quick awning. Works great if your on the fence about getting an awning, just not going to use one much, or just want a cheaper option.

I used stainless eyebolts I just leave mounted to the extrusion. I have them on both sides for more options. I wanted to do the same off the back, but never found a tarp the right size so I went with an actual awning in the back.

3 Likes

@GFC706 - Props on the setup! Do you mind listing out the parts and possibly sharing some links? It would be cool to see photos of the overall setup and what things look like once packed away as well.

While I’m sometimes a bit envious of those who do, I’ve been struggling with the idea of running an awning full time for a few reasons, and this might be a nice route to sort that out.

2 Likes

As requested.
My “awning” parts list consists of:

4 Carabiners
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-16-in-x-3-1-4-in-Zinc-Plated-Spring-Link-42944/205882903

1 Tarp
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-6-ft-x-8-ft-Heavy-Duty-Brown-Silver-Tarp-PYHD0608/303670565

4 Twist-in extrusion hangers

2 Poles
The poles I got from amazon are light, but fairly wimpy. Source poles as you see fit for your needs.

2 Rubber toppers to secure tarp

4 Stakes and guy lines
Your preference.

The lumbering bear hangers make this awning super easy to set up as they easily twist in super securely. I leave the hangers and biners attached to the tarp when stored away. That way all I have to do is twist the 4 hangers in place before setting up the poles.

Folded up for storage…
Guy lines and stakes rolled up inside.

The poles have a separate cinch sack.

Hope this is helpful.

Peace.

6 Likes

nice simple lightweight setup. there are so many advantages over a heavy hard mount awning. the only draw back is time to put it up and take it down if it’s raining or snowing

I got a custom 4x10 tarp from here $43 IIRC to hang off the back

2 Likes

Great for the Rockies where it rarely rains. I have most of the parts and will set up at rear of GFC. Just ordered the Alien Hangers and will cut my own wooden stakes or buy some metal tent stakes for poles. My “painting” extension poles from Ace will have to have nylon cord duct-taped to them because they haven’t any fittings to take the cord but that should work ok. Can’t justify some expensive, bulky and complicated awning for using in the Rockies a couple of times per year.

2 Likes

Not sure about the duct tape, but you’re gonna love the alien hangers.

Peace.

1 Like

@Rancho
I had meant to tag you on this. Thanks for making great these great extrusion hangers. The tarp setup is much easier with them.
I crushed one with my outside V1 strut, so I’m waiting for my order. Not a problem with the hanger; I just have to remember to unhook the hanger under the strut.

Peace.

1 Like

Thanks man!!! You should have said something, I’d replace it for you. Just once though lol

1 Like

Great idea!! Haven’t seen the Alien used that way yet! I appreciate you showing how you set it up!!

I got my order today. One replacement and 2 extras. Thanks for the quick shipping.

Peace.

1 Like

This type of awning setup also works with the Lumbering Bear hooks, as opposed to the Alien ring above. I’ll prob regret it one day when I encounter heavy winds that throw the tarp off the hooks, but so far I’ve had great luck using 3 hooks and a cheap tarp on the passenger side (no carabiners or clips needed, as the tarp goes directly on the hook). I use the plastic screw-in type stakes, taking mine to the ground, so no poles needed.

3 Likes

I haven’t tried mine without the poles, but I’ve certainly thought about that awning mode. It would be worth trying in more extreme conditions.

Peace.

the only issue I hve had in high winds so far was the guy line stakes coming out of the ground. I’d like to test it out this winter at some point to see how much snow the lightweight REI half dome can take.

Would like to create a simple tarp like this. Unfortunately the LB Adventure Gear GFC T-Slot Alien Hangers do not ship to Canada. Anyone know if there’s something similar that’s available in / ships to Canada? Thanks!

1 Like

I’d be more than glad to ship to you I am not sure why it’s not set up on the web site. We can figure something out.

ETA: I added international shipping if you are still interested.

Thanks for adding Canada to your shipping locations!

1 Like