Tent Delete Modification?

Is it possible to delete the RTT and leave the shell? I have a v1 and I don’t use the camper tent nearly enough, and really just want the shell now. Has anyone ever done this mod / is it possible?

This sounds like the guy who bought a 2 wheel drive truck and wants to upgrade to 4 wheel drive, but in reverse. Honestly, if you don’t want your current setup, sell it to someone who wants it and get what you want. Even if its a GFC shell… If you spend more money on the V1 (that you don’t want) to convert it, you will be paying for the tent, then paying for the conversion. That’s money you could spend on the future setup, not to mention getting your equity out of the original platform setup. What exactly do you intend to do with the rtt portion? It likely wouldn’t be useful to anyone. Just sayin’.

Dump the V1 in one piece. I believe that there would be buyers out there. (I love my V1) Then you’ll have money from the sale and money still in the bank that you didn’t spend on a conversion project and likely more space in the garage because you’re not stuck with a tent that you don’t want and can’t use on your converted shell. Yes, there’s a lot of ands in there…
If you convert your V1, post here. Maybe there’s a straightforward way to accomplish your goals. I’d be interested in what you decide.

Peace.

2 Likes

You’re probably right but I love spending a lot of money and time on half baked solutions so this venture would be par for the course.

1 Like

Got it. I’ll be watching for updates on your project.

Peace.

I’d reach out to GFC Support and see how the tent is bolted on to the shell. I think it’s bolted and glued.

1 Like

It seems fairly straightforward to remove and bolt something in its place, but it is taller than a cap would be, and will look a bit odd sticking above the cab. Just something to consider.

Right I’m not sure where the disconnect would be made to give it a flush look, which is probably why I’m gonna end up selling / buying the topper. But wonder if anyone has tried this.

It is bolted and glued… and a pain to remove. I have done it a couple of times and it required a few guys and a fork lift to separate the tent from the frame.

2 Likes

Thanks – very good to know.

Sell it and buy a GFC topper or smartcap and pocket a grand or two