Tent side door thoughts versus no side door

Just got my color samples last week (#538), set my options up with Torrey this week. I went with the optional tent side door because I’ve heard about ventilation/condensation issues. Anyone who has the side door- what are your thoughts on it?

1 Like

I didn’t get the side door but everyone I spoke to with the side door all felt they made the right decision. Can’t speak of the condensation with that since I’m on Gen 2 fabric.

1 Like

I absolutely love my side door! Better ventilation, lighting, and view. No downsides that I’ve found.

1 Like

The view alone makes it worth it. Highly recommended.

1 Like

I don’t have a side door and I have the version 1 tent material. I am questioning my decision now a bit. The view would be nice. But the bigger reason is I frequently haul a dirt bike on a carrier on the hitch. It would be nice to be able to use a ladder to climb in the side and not have to unload the dirt bike. I will be looking into seeing if a side door can be added or maybe purchasing a new tent with the side door.

1 Like

I have the side door and love it. Getting up top without having to go over the tailgate and past people sitting there or food that is laid out, is really helpful. Its also an easy way to get out at night without much commotion. As others have pointed out, the view is nice too!

2 Likes

To do it again I would get the side door. It would be nice to easily exit with everything all buttoned up.

2 Likes

I have #261 and I have the side door. I use the bed of the truck sometimes for sleeping, or the tail gate for cooking etc. so side door with a ladder is killer. I took a old hanging shoe storage deal from the home closet as I like to climb the ladder in shoes but have a “no shoe” policy for the tent. It hangs from the side near the side door…
Add to that the extra ventilation and views and I think it’s well worth the extra cost.

1 Like

I don’t have my GFC yet, but I thought a lot about this side door and concluded that it was a must have. We will see if I am right, but the extra ventilation, access in and out without getting into the bed of the truck, and the extra view/light all seem to be worth the money to me.

1 Like

It is a little annoying that they charge more than most ground tents for a single door. It should be a $50 charge or so. I don’t know how they get off charging so much.

in hindsight i would have definitely went with the side door for all reasons listed above. I checked into upgrading from the original material to the new tent material with a door and may do that down the road.

1 Like

No disagreement there at all. On this one, I just closed my eyes and said yes. I know long term I’ll be glad I did. Short term, yea, feels like a ripoff

A $50 increase for something that takes at least an additional man hour plus to fabricate and more components to consume…that doesn’t make business sense. I would figure double that or more to cover costs of labor and parts.

2 Likes

I am just adding it into the cost, with the front/rear windows + side door it’s another $750, at this point go big! I already have the GFC ladder I picked up from a former GFC owner at a good price so just makes sense, for me at least

3 Likes

Yup, totally worth adding it at this point

Thread revive! Would anyone want to trade my non-side door for side door, both v2 tent material?

I might consider that. Where are you? I’m in BC.

2 Likes

Still interested? I’m located in Denver, CO

I went with side doors and would definitely do it again. Both the view and ventilation!

Bought my GFC used with no side doors…. Sealed out the tent for one with side doors, happy that I did