The Random GFC Photo Thread

Awesome man.
What camps did you stay at? Any spots give you troubles?
We did the trail the opposite way you did in 2018.
Climbing Hardscrabble might have been the sketchiest spot for us.

1 Like

We stayed at Gooseberry A and Hardscrabble A. Didn’t have any trouble going this direction but there were definitely a few spots where I was feeling the width and length of the truck. Only had to pull one 3 point turn though haha

Did the descent down to hardscrabble in the dark after watching sunset at the top and was definitely stoked to not have to drive up it the next morning. How was descending Murphy’s hogback? Seems like the exposure there would definitely keep you on point!

1 Like

We’ve been lucky enough to have volunteer drivers on the White Rim so we could ride the whole route. But the last time around our driver asked me to take the wheel for the descent down Murphy’s. Understandable, I wouldn’t want to take someone else’s vehicle down it either. Anyway, it wasn’t bad at all in low-range…

Thanks for the great photos @mode7. Can’t wait to get back there next fall.

1 Like

I didn’t think going down Murphy’s Hogback was too bad. Up and down hardscrabble seemed sketchier to me for some reason.
Maybe it was just because that was the first technical section of the trail in the direction we went. Plus being from mostly flat Ohio and one of our first off-road trips it was a little scary for the girlfriend. Haha.

1 Like

I was zooming in on your photos and it looks like you have your own custom rack on top?

@Kwood Yup it’s just some 80/20 extrusion and brackets. It ended up being like $100 for two bars. Then like $60 worth of gfc tnuts :expressionless:

9 Likes

That seems like a good rack system. Low cost .Low profile too

Yeah it works well. Probably not quite at solid as the beef racks, but nothing I plan on putting up there is particularly heavy.

1 Like

I also used the 8020 extrusion but went with alumninum color mostly because I figured my solar panel frames would be aluminum color too. I sure like the way the black looks on yours though.

7 Likes

I’m guessing you set the bars on top of the 90 degree bracket instead of tapping the hole at the end of the extrusion. Hows that workout? Can we get a close up?

1 Like

That’s right. Seems to work well. I’m no engineer, but it seemed more bomber to me than a bolt or two through the extrusion.

7 Likes

8 Likes

Kirkwood Ca. (aka Kwood)
Hanging out in my GFC for lunch in between powder runs is so nice.

7 Likes

10 Likes

Your truck is a beaut. Nice pics!

1 Like

Gravel roads and coffee with ma’ boy yesterday.

10 Likes

Made a simple insulation liner using fleece and 3M Dual Lock. Actually works pretty well in cold weather. It’s still a cloth tent but it did make a noticable difference in low single digits above 10,000’ in Colorado.

19 Likes

@Evan220, looks good. Did you connect the fleece using 3M dual lock velcro along the roof? Did you cut out for the small windows and leave them open at all? How was condensation on the fleece?

Dual Lock attached to roof along both sides and across the top as well as across between the windows and a small piece centered at the lowest part of the roof.
Dual Lock was also sewn onto the fleece.
I noticed the back wall (with the door) had a little condensation on it after a couple nights but the fleece didn’t have much at all. I haven’t checked the roof for condensation under the fleece but everything felt dry. I’ll check in more detail when I get back to camping.
I also have windows cut that match the size and shape of the tent Windows, I can leave both layers open a little and I get a nice vent shaped opening.
Oh, and yes I close it with all this fleece in place.

9 Likes

Damn this is exciting black on silver looks good!