Tundra GFC Build

Thought I’d share my build since I haven’t seen too many Tundras yet with GFC’s. Mine is a 2016 TRD Pro that I picked up in October of 2015.

It has gone through a couple overland/camping setups since getting it. I had a couple different bed rack’s with a Tepui RTT that we used quite a lot for a couple years.
I ordered my GFC in October of 2018 and picked it up in September of 2019.

And this is how it’s currently setup.

Currently have Icon suspension all around with 2.5 Coilovers up front with adjusters
RXT rear shocks with adjusters
RXT leaf springs on option 2 for now, may go to 3 soon
N-Fab RDS front bumper
Custom Wilco Hitchgate Max turned into rear bumper

11 Likes

Nice ride. I’m trying to get a GFC, in the meantime I have a 2019 tundra 4x4 sport. 6.5’ bed like yours. Do you have anything that came off the truck for sale? I’m just starting my build. TODD

Thanks! Unfortunately I don’t hang on to many parts once I swap them out, not enough garage space.

A few updates to the truck and camper.

ARB Single Compressor

Duluth Seat Back Bunker. This really fits the XL camper nicely and the grey matches my space frame.

And my current bed setup with single drawer and storage.

8 Likes

Nice build out, very simple and clean.

1 Like

Front bumper is legit. Wish they made something like that for 2nd generation tacoma… Simple!

2 Likes

@sidebernstein
My only gripe is that I wish it could hold a winch, other than that, I love it.

1 Like

Nice Tundra! Did you build the drawer on the passenger side?

@girdwood
Yes, to try and compensate some weight from the gas tank being in the drivers side.

What material did you use? I was looking at building one similar, but wanted to stay away from plywood. Do you have any pictures of it on the inside for the supports and what not?

@girdwood
Mine is made out of wood. I made a frame out of 2x4’s and also used a piece of 4x4 as a leg in the back corner. I then covered it and made the drawer body out of 1/2” plywood but I used the higher grade plywood from Lowe’s. I finished it by painting it with black exterior paint which I also added some texture particles to make it somewhat feel like a truck bed liner. So far it has held up. I can try and get some pictures of the inside for you.

1 Like

Cool, thanks! To me it looked like maybe HDPE material in the pictures! Good work on the paint/texture!