Updating truck box platform beds

So since I’m giving my current GFC to a buddy of mine that has the same truck. I’ve offered to sell him my current wood platform (seen here pre-GFC)

Since I’m potentially getting a chance to start again from scratch with building a V2 platform bed for the truck, I’ve been tossing a few ideas. In an effort to shed weight since the current platform weighs about 250lbs with electrical and battery. I’ve been looking at either using 1020 extrusion or Quick tubing with plywood as the deck and aluminum sides.

or this Quick Frame (which is a little cheaper)

Anyone care to share their opinions on these methods on this vs full plywood setups? Also, I’m in Canada, so RMMC is the 8020.net partner distributor here because 8020 won’t ship to Canada, so save your breath on that one :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers,

I love me some extrusions but the tubing would probably work best for you. use some with the flanges in certain areas to screw sides to and you are golden. You can cut that stuff with regular table saw too

1 Like

quick math you would need ~60 feet at 1/4 pound a foot that’s 15 pounds for tubing maybe 1 pound for corner braces, probably 15 for plywood top, 8 for aluminum sides or use poly “cage” material for machine guarding and cut that down to 2 pounds. translate pounds to Canadian and you are looking at 170 kilos for the box. that’s seems light enough to me. the extrusions are heavier

1 Like

LOL, we rock lbs here just to make things confusing. Although I guess you’re right, it is in Kilo’s on my license LOL. I’m leaning towards the tubing as well for price, and ease. They make it with a flange, so would use that in along a few of the edges to make it similar design to the platform I have now. Which I really like the layout of with only a few minor tweaks in widths.

1 Like

my British friend tried explaining stones to me. why would you talk about your weight in stone but everything else is pounds and then liquid is litres. I still don’t understand. then you have guy, buddy, pal. a guy is not a buddy, a buddy is not a pal and a pal is not guy :confounded:

1 Like

Does quid still work up there? Or is that just straight British? :joy:

2 Likes

That’s British, but being a Manchester United fan I use quid.

2 Likes