Upgraded gas spring for higher load rating on the tent

Thanks for posting the link, I’ve just installed them. Compressing with ratchet straps worked very well.

GFC’s comment about shearing strut mounts is noted. If anyone has had this happen please report it to this thread.

Hey @GFC_Support revisiting this thread and I’m glad I did. So do you just recommend using something to prop the tent up instead? I’m having the same issue described by multiple users. Winter time with ski racks and skis. With three pairs of skis (2 x lightweight touring setup) and one alpine/slack setup and it’s too heavy.

1 Like

I picked up some 3/4 inch PEX from home Depot, measured to length and cut a slit in the side so I can just slide them onto the gas struts when it is cold or stupid windy to work as a prop rod and it has worked well so far

2 Likes

I did the same thing but I used pvc. Works well in windy conditions.

Peace.

Did you use Suspa, or McMaster gas springs, I need to go up to 125# or 150#. Any issues running the beefier spring on your v2? thanks!

I used McMaster 150# gas springs from PNW’s link above. Absolutely no problems with use or installation. I’m driving home after five weeks on the road with a rocket filled with skis. Before the substitution I had to use a 2x4 to support the tent. After installation I didn’t need the 2x4. Additionally, it was too hard to pull the tent down without the rocket box.

3 Likes

Eureka! I think I’ve found a solution to this while watching car issues on motortrend tv… saw one of the cars with hood support clamps and realized that’s exactly what we need to prevent it from drooping or unexpectedly closing… they have different sizes for different strut thickness… going to order some once I figure out just what the thickness is on our V2s

Of course we would have to put it on and off every time we use it but should only take seconds

6 Likes

Did you end up trying this solution?

I had to do mine because it broke off the mount. It is not easy to do it, you’ll definitely need someone to help you