V1 screws shearing off

Forgive me if I’ve posted in the wrong place. Quick search didn’t bring me to a relevant thread.

I have a V1. I just noticed one of the machined aluminum brackets that hold the latch pins was crooked. Further inspection I find that 3 screws have sheared off. 1 on driver side, 2 on passenger side. Seems it’s overbuilt so the remaining screws have been holding it in place, so not too worried. I think it’s been like this for a while.

Curious if this is a known issue and if there is a cause or adjustment I need to do to prevent it from happening again. Extracting the other ends of the screws might kinda suck, so I’m open to tips if anyones got experience here.

Here’s what they look like with screws

1 Like

Not home at the moment, but ill be checking the integrity of my screws (#706) and following this thread.

Peace.

1 Like

I had one break off on the piece above. They didn’t address it as planned when they replaced my hinges, but did say they use different fasteners and sent me a bag of them. I hope to find the time to replace them all and try and isolate the dissimilar metals with duralac or teffgel. Im not real confident it will be a simple easy out since they blew it off and don’t want to open a can of worms without the time.

1 Like

Well shit. Maybe I’ll hit them up about getting some replacement fasteners at least.

It’s a known issue. I actually have an appointment at the GFC shop tomorrow morning to have all of my bolts replaced after the heads sheared off 2 of them. They did say they have a drill jig available to DIY extract the broken ones, but I needed an excuse to drive out to Montana anyway.

2 Likes

I checked my V1 after reading this thread and I forgot to reply back. My #706 screws are all present and seem to be tight. I’ll continue to watch these as time goes on. No discolorization, rust, or corrosion on any of the screws that I can see.

Peace.

2 Likes

My screws are all present and in place. Should I be proactive and change them out now? I can only imagine that once they shear off it’s difficult to get the broken part out so a new screw can be screwed in. Thoughts?

2 Likes

How did the screw replacement go? Did you watch them do it? I’ve been putting it off since I think it’s been like that for over a year now, but definitely needs to be done.

I don’t have the best answer, but I’m guessing it’s way easier to just replace them in tact. Although, if they do break off, seems like just two screws alone holds one of the brackets no problem - strong design!

It went fine, but took a bit longer than they anticipated (close to 3 hours) because they had to drill out quite a few of them. I’m assuming some simply broke during removal, which made me more confident that I had made the right decision to not attempt the repair myself. The replacement fasteners are a completely different type than the originals as well.