V2 Broken locks

I’m curious, how is the barrel/key interaction? Any less vague and frustrating than than stock?

No I don’t find any issue but I do believe it is identical as far as the barrel is concerned obviously keeping the dirt out and little bit of graphite lubricant in the key makes a huge difference.
One key fits them all I requested that when I ordered them they all have a barcode.
I will say you have to spend some time really thinking it through when it comes to the placement of the template instead of evenly increasing the size of the opening you actually only increase the size on the right left and top when doing the side panels. This prevents the swivel mechanism from touching the strut which would prevent it from locking.
Hope that Helps

5 Likes

Those C5s look really good! I can see your point about positioning to make sure the cam lever misses the strut…looks tight.

It is it’s still relatively easy what I did as I took the template in which I used the gasket to position it completely level at the bottom then with a piece of chalk I filled in the area right left and above it needed to be filed out.
There’s no doubt that there’s a possibility that a GFCI adopted your idea to move to the C5 there are different models and they have the capability to engineer it in a better way I was working with what was placed in front of me I appreciate your kind words.

2 Likes

Mike said there were 10 different one when I asked last. Still fewer then I would have imagined.

at the very least make them an option. seems a no brainer to me. that’s $300 in parts per camper.

I understand keeping GFC the least expensive wedge camper on the market but little options like this would make a better product. I would gladly have paid an extra $500 for this option from factory. Just a little mod in CAD for latches is easy peesy.

6 Likes

Boy that looks so much better than the stock latches. I hope the gang and GFC are following this and make the change for future users. This is slick. So far for me @jedgar ‘S solution is working for me, but when those latches inevitably fail. I will definitely be going the C5 route.

Great work Phil :metal:

2 Likes

Thanks for the discussion y’all. Been stuck with some broken or corroded locks and not looked at the forum for a long time. Have already had GFC replace a few also. But this solution looks much better, so I will try this as well

Anyone in?

https://forum.gofastcampers.com/t/southco-latch-group-buy-canada/17022?u=joe.tak

used @the_philxx measurements. and took some photos as I did it for anyone nervous about widening the openings. It went great thanks to the info above. Pardon the picture dumps.

3 Likes

3 Likes

11 Likes

You can add me to that list; all my latches are still good. I would love to get these though; big thing is $$$$. Let me know if you get enough together to make an order and I’ll decide where I’m at. (Might be on strike or locked out come December)

2 Likes

Id be hip to the grove. If yall put in a group order I’d be game.

I would be down to get 6. I’m in California tho. Not sure if that would be a problem

Great thread, everyone. I am going to highly consider this upgrade. I am going into my first winter w/ my GFC and I imagine I will place my order the first time I can’t get in because the stock latch/es are frozen shut. Thanks for sharing!

Save yourself the trouble and get some covers. They are cheaper than changes the locks. The link to the covers is in this thread somewhere.

1 Like

Pictures of the two different types of covers that Dig speaks of are….

Why is the key on the look such a problem? Opening the latch while locking it happened to me once. Never again!

1 Like

It is definitely a test of my serenity every-time that happens. It is a foolish design from Southco. I’ll wait until mine fail then I’ll replace them one by one; once the camper is out of warrantee.

2 Likes