V2 Broken locks

I agree, the oversight of these latches is definitely something GFC should seriously consider.

1 Like

I scrolled back up to your photos @the_philxx, yeah, I had the inside bolts too long. Thanks for the feedback. Easier to close now too.

Ah… by no means are you incapable of learning. I just don’t have the problem. But the the idea on NO frozen lock is brilliant! I like the modifications and those locks.

Good to hear! I have working covers, but the lock UI is basically useless so I just ordered 6 to do all the doors. Now to figure out how to keep the side hinges from freezing solid…

My rear has just been crunchy, but the sides wont open at all in some cases. Been when I have driven up from the valley, so through heavy rain then into freezing conditions. Pretty challenging conditions so not really the hinges fault.

1 Like

Hey all, thinking of swapping my locks with the C5s. What does this do to the ability to lock/unlock form inside on the V2? I assume it’s just on how you adjust it when installing the new lock?

Thanks.

you clamp to the thing that slides up and down just the same. No difference I think.

The one “captain obvious” thing I’ll note, is that opening the C5’s or C2’s in the rain will cause the same problems later if temperatures drop below freezing. I tested opening the C5’s in heavy rain, then just using my breath to blow out the water as best I could, closing everything up, and then checking the next day when temps dropped to low 20’s. They still opened, but there was some frost related crunchy crunch as they opened. The panels were even frozen to the frame a little, and the crunchy noises I was hearing on the panel hinges were way worse.

Still worth it though IMHO. The main thing I love with the C5’s is separating the key core and opening button. Makes locking/unlocking much more pleasant. The C5’s just feel more robust too.

1 Like

Don’t think I’d even bother trying to open the stock latches in those conditions. Certain fail.

1 Like

ooh dinner

20 characters

2 Likes

Joined the C5 club. Super easy using @the_philxx measurements and a significant upgrade for sure.

8 Likes

Definitely not a serious test, but nice and dry inside the covers.

8 Likes

I assume this will work in the same manner with the v1, correct?

Yeah should work the same, although your cut measurements will be different I’d think since the v2 uses the diagonal brace attachment points as the striker plates on the sides, and the rear door latches are horizontal instead of vertical.

1 Like

I’ve had my camper for 8 months. Everything was going great until last week. Lots of snow, sleet, and ice means M•dot putting down excessive amounts of salt. My passenger side rear latch went from functional to completely corroded in about 8 days. It looks like the dust protector didn’t close all the way when I last locked it so all of the salt managed to get down inside the lock. Guess it’s time for C5’s.

5 Likes

Yikes. That’s super quick. One of my dust covers permanently stays open even with lubrication and all of my attempts to wiggle it back in place. This sketches me out.

Bummer they didn’t last, but you will love the C5s. A drastically better latch and the covers work great.

3 Likes

I also commute 2 hours to work so I was driving on heavily salted highways a bunch during that week. I got it to open, but now it’s just stuck open. Could be worse.

1 Like

Definitely second that on the C5s! Zero issues with freezing/salt intrusion on a two week ski roadtrip. The only thing I noticed is the rubber bumpers catch on the sliding security tabs when closing from the inside, but that could be due to imprecise trimming during install.

I am a type one diabetic and I keep my insulin in my NL50 fridge that’s in the back…and before anyone says put the fridge inside the cab, believe me, I’ve tried and it just doesn’t fit. If god forbid, something were to happen and I can’t access my insulin because of a known issue that GFC refuses to address time and time again…… it isn’t going to end well

I think it’s insane that we constantly have to go the aftermarket route to address a flaw that’s very known to the factory

7 Likes

I haven’t had any of the lock issues that you guys are having (yet) knock on wood.

But what I think GFC should seriously consider exploring is offering a Rebate to help soften the Cost and Time incurred to the folks who are essentially making their (GFC) problem go away for them.

2 Likes